Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know the pros and cons of each intake. I was originally going to get the Volant because I've heard so many good things about it but then I was wondering about the FC intake because it is cheaper and it seems to have the same concept and they both work with ram air hoods. My question is, what does the Focus Central intake give that the Volant doesn't and what does the Volant give that the Focus Central doesn't? Thanks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
FC = cheaper built quality, looks like crap under the hood. They both work exactly the same, but the Volant is built a lot better. I bought the FC intake and wish I had gotten the Volant instead.

If you aren't about looks, and all you are concerned about is function, then go with the Focus Central intake. If you want it to function and look good doing it, then spend the extra money for the Volant.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
as i always say when people omit the ICEMAN... don't... the FC is kinda cheap material not to mention ain't the pertiest crayon in the box. the volant and FC are heck of alot better than the ICEMAN with a ram air hood...BUT that will take a couple (3 couples to be exact) extra hundred dollars. I own the ICEMAN and I am more than satisfied... its been said around here that the iceman is close to if not as good as the volant for 50 bucks less. WOOHOO. well there ya go .. theres my opinions.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
by FocusOnMyPZEV
YES iceman is=to the volant...actually the ICEMAN put out more power than the volant..both on the same stock car.. volant made 113WHP & 114TQ, but the Iceman made 112WHP and 118TQ..Ill give up that 1HP and take the 4lbs/tq anyday!! stock dyno on that car was 107WHP and 112TQ fyi.For people who like that deep growl of the cone filter then the volant would be ideal..or the FS..for ppl just after raw TQ and power the iceman is ideal...it is louder than stock, but not cone filter growlish loud.
by KicknZX3 i have seen it dyno proven myself.
[read] Read the entire thread here if you like.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum_archive/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11950
[whip]

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
FC...can accept 70mm maf...Volant and Iceman don't. If you are headed in the direction of a larger maf...take this into consideration...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the Volant with the SVT snorkle vs. the iceman with an ITG filter? Also, is the Iceman's snorkle as big as the SVT's?

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
You can use a larger maf with a stock engine (kinda pricey for a stock engine). But more useful with all bolt ons, best for cams and FI. Iceman is a good intake...some say the best for the stock maf. ITG panel filter will outflow cotton/gauze flat panels...but not a good conical filter. I'd assume the Iceman snorkle is comperable to the SVT. The SVT snorkel has a differrent shaped end that goes into the air box. It will fit the stock air box by heating with a heat gun and reshaping it to fit. The iceman is shaped to fit the air box already. I highly suggest reading through the old Zetec performance forum sticky for intakes if you haven't already done so. Lots of great info there. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum_archive/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5280

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
agreed, this seems to be an everyday battle, but I still haven't seen any tried and true dyno sheets on here. I'll try and find a good dyno shop and dyno my car with the stock system, then I'll put my Volant back on there and dyno that. Then I'll through it up here so that we at least have the Volant tried and true numbers. (At least for 1 car, when in reality every car is different). A few things I've heard about the Iceman is that the intake tube between the air box and the TB is too stiff for our engine and can crack. Otherwise I don't know much else about except the tubing is some really bright ass colors. As for the volant, the hardest part about it is getting the damn seal around the top opening, once that is on there, the rest is cake, and I've noticed significant driveability increases with it. It also has a civilized side, if you don't want it to growl, you can shift when the shift indicator light comes on, and 95% of the time, it doesn't sound much louder than stock. However, want to be loud, drop the pedal another inch and let it rev higher before shifting, and you get GREAT growl.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ALRIGHT PEOPLE GET READY......(DRUMROLL).................

ME HAVE VOLANT, ME LIKE MUCH MUCH, BUT N E CAI IS BETTER THAN WHAT IS STOCK. *cough cough* excuse me. oh but yeah i have the volant, nice intake. didnt notice a TON more than a deeper sound, but come on its a CAI not 4 extra cylinders. but i tell ya what, its a real nice looking unit, my advice, dont research too much cause it will make your brain fart. just enough to get what you want. blah that draged on too long

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Red RocketZx3 said:
ALRIGHT PEOPLE GET READY......(DRUMROLL).................

ME HAVE VOLANT, ME LIKE MUCH MUCH, BUT N E CAI IS BETTER THAN WHAT IS STOCK. *cough cough* excuse me. oh but yeah i have the volant, nice intake. didnt notice a TON more than a deeper sound, but come on its a CAI not 4 extra cylinders. but i tell ya what, its a real nice looking unit, my advice, dont research too much cause it will make your brain fart. just enough to get what you want. blah that draged on too long
If we're all talking about the same Volant intake, how come you call it a CAI [?]
The Volant is just a short intake with it's own air box from what i can tell unless the box is magic and it teleports outside air into the air box...[?]..[unsure]
The intake gets it's air from inside the engine compartment unless you have a ram hood or added some duct to the front of your car and ported the duct to the Volant intake ...[confused]...
[whip]

·
Registered
115 Posts
it gets air from one inlet called the svt snorkel (not sure why its called that cause my zx3 came with one). there is another inlet located near the headlight that at higher speeds gets nothing but cooler air. it could be improved upon but the volant is certainly a cai in its own right. unless your right and the rest of the focus community is just confused about this "magic box"

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Ya, I know what your saying but when I think of a CAI, I'm thinking of the long tube intakes that get their air from the front of the car near the bumper area.
If you go to http://www.newedgeperformance.com/airintakes.html, they call the Iceman a CAI too. This means that the stock intake must be a CAI. I guess it's all in the perception of the user and the manufacturer.
[whip]

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
yeah it is.... i have this as my rubric

cai = long tube

short ram = filter on a stick

induction system = stock filter loc, heatshield/air box, with runners/snorkels to draw outside air.

examples:

cai: aem, bomz

short ram: mac, ractive

induction system: fc, volant, ice man

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Red RocketZx3 said:
i guess i consider the volant a CAI because it also has a heat shield so that definitly contributes to the whole cooler air thing
So does your stock air box..[hihi]

Anyway, I like EuroZX3's analogy. [thumb]
[whip]

·
Registered
515 Posts
Actually, I refer to the Focus Central one as a CAI because...

C = Cool
A = Air
I = Induction

Nuff said.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts