Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking around and was looking at the FC Intake and Ram Air Hood deal. It appears to be a good deal but, wouldn't the rain just come in the slot in the front of the hood? As well as washing the car? I would imagine that the system would create good gains though since the cold air is right there.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My opinion, and be aware that I have limited knowledge on these things, is that the amount of water that would actually enter that opening in the hood and make its way into the air box wouldn't be enough to cause concern. If it really worried you, you could just close off the opening when it rains.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a Cervini hood on my ZTS, and I wondered about that too, soo one day when it was rainning alot, I took it for a spin on the highway, traveling 90- 100 mph, then I got off the nears MOBIL station and parked my car underneath, open my Cervini hood up, and my engine was barely wet, it looked like mist on the engine block. but not enought to do any harm.

·
Registered
137 Posts
that is a good deal! i have the volant intake and i've been wanting the carbon fibre hood for a while now, just no money for it.[?|]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have fun when you get hydro-lock. I hope your good at replacing your engine.
You could aways put a shower cap over in intake when it's raining.

Good luck. BTW, U might want to get an engine hoist because U will need it when U replace your engine.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
naw i'm sure there is something to the hood. that stops the rain

·
Registered
798 Posts
Maybe because air doesn't get to it at high speeds. Air inlets mounted high up on the hood aren't very functional at 80-100mph. The air simply passes it and heads straight for the roof of the car. At low speeds the air goes to it but at high speeds it's not very functional at all. Some air will go but not enough to make a difference. That's why on the Mini Cooper S it's right there at the front of the hood. The WRX's scoop isn't functional at high speeds either, for the same reason. I've heard of people actually put little streemers (Strips of paper) on the air inlet of there WRX to see if it was functional and they all said that it wasn't at high speeds because the paper stopped flapping around and calmed down.
I'd still get the hood just for the less weight alone.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was almost positive that cars like the WRC or Camaro SS/Transam WS6 were functional at high speeds?

·
Registered
798 Posts
The WRC Subaru is the only WRC that has an intake that far back. The TransAm's scoop was very close the front bumper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts