Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time: Aprox 1 hour and 30 min.
Cost: FC gauges - $ 70.00, Contour needles - $ 3.00, blue tape and sand paper $ 3.50

I was at a local junk yard and noticed that the Ford Contour has clear needles in the gauge cluster. So, i got me a set cause that gave me an idea. I also got from New Edge Performance a set of silver Focus Central gauge face and while i was at it, i also got a silver SVT HVAC surround.

Here's what i did ---->

I took my cluster apart and repleced the three bulbs that light up every thin with some nice apc blue ones. Seeing as the contour needles i used are clear, they with lith up what ever color bulb you use

The fuel and temp needles from the contour are not that same as the Focus'. I had to cut them a bit from he tip, cause the contour needles are a bit longer. Also the Focus needles have a small stop tip (bump stop) that prevents the needle to go around past the lowest point of the "cold" and the highest point of "hot".

I cut these little stops and glued them on the countour needls.

I also took took some time and removed the film behind the odometer glass (where it tells you how many miles on the car). I sanded the back part of it with 400 grit and then with a wet 600 grit sand paper, to get all the green off (i saw this mod in the how-to section). Afterwards put some blue electrical tape in the back (sanded) part of the film and this gave it a nice blue look.

Remember that before puting things back in place, you have to calibrate your needles, please look in the How-To section for this.

Here's the finished product[:D]

Some night shots, for some reason they came out too dark, it looks way better in person.

Sorry i didn't get all the pictures that i should have, i kept forgetting too. Hope this wanna be how-to helps.

Thanks!!

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!!! The pics are huge, thanks to Photobucket.com!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
man i like those gauges, i have a blue 05 and i want my guages to look identical to that, well maybe red needles but its still nice

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks! It's really a very easy mod. All you need are the clear needles off a contour.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh, thanks! I didn't know it was already done, DUH!!! hahaha! It's actually wierd, i searched for thwe how-to on the needle calibration but never saw this one. And it's way better than mine.

I also thought about painting the rear of the clear needles but i wanted to leave mine white instead.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool, that would be great, since no one else hasn't come up with anything!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hey SuperFlea, what year contour did you get those needles out of?

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it was like a 98 or 99, but i think that they're all the same.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I keep trying to find them, but the ones I keep running into are these and they are too short:

Hey Tyler, any time frame on when those custom needles might be available?

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the tach and speedometer needles look smaller then the contour's. hhhmmm...what year car is that cluster from, try older.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A quick up-date...

I got an ST Gauge bezel, it looks way much better!

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
that does look good! how about a pic with your key on. i want to see your odometer with the blue gauges. nice work bro![thumb]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts