throttle butterfly, it's not an air leak I already checked
but is this pretty normal,
I already used the seach button and I think it's normal
it's only at partial throttle too
wondering if anyone else has this happening

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
yes i love that sound [:D] it's completely normal unless it's a constant whistling, then you might have a leak. oh my bad was reading the wrong thing, i was just refering to the intake with the sound whistling

·
Registered
738 Posts
I get that sound with my stock TB and a FS CAI. That whistle is so nnnniiiicccceeee. I absolutly love it.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I love it too,
yeah it's not a leak I know this for sure
I figured it was normal under the circumstances
thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
i was wondering if there is a big differance in the 65mm tb that your talking about and the 70mm that ford performance makes?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I know most 70mm tb do not come with any provision for idle
you might wanna think about that, also a 70mm is usually for
a serious setup or racing, the 65mm is great i just installed mine
2 days ago, not one problem at all, great with an sri
I can't wait to see what it's like with a catback

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have any of you guys installed your TB by yourself? I'm looking into getting the FC 65mm TB from New Edge but i don't want to pay some [email protected]$$ out the wang for something that i could potentially do my self. I just want to know if it's all that difficult. Thanks in advance.[:D]

·
Registered
738 Posts
I think just about everyone on this site does their own installs. I mean every type of install.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
i dont think its that hard, i havent done it but isnt it a simple bolt on with alittle minor adjusment to the stock intake manni, which is plastic. I think you have to dremel the hole on the top wider a bit, easy b/c its plastic then just bolt up the new tb and hook everything up. I might do this one day, considering i have an auto and the throttle response sucks ass

·
Registered
75 Posts
Installation of the FC 65mm was easy. Required mostly 1/4 drive rachets and various sockets. Star shaped torx bits for the TPS. Total time approx 1 1/2 hour to complete. Ensure you disconnect your negative battery wire while you perform this, that way the ECU will reset and re-learn your driving habits after you hook it back up. Throttle response is indeed increased. Although the performance increase I expected did not occur. The shift patterns( AUTO) have changed noticibly, you know not shifting when it should and especially taking excessive time to downshift when passing at highway speed. The Ford OEM TB was peppier in this respect. My gas mileage has not changed around 31 MPG. Some folks have suggested I get a tune, but they are expensive, and I don't know anyone locally who could do this for me. I may re-install the stock part and sell the FC. By the way the FC is coupled with a Marcy Motorsport CAI and it no longer whistles like it used to. Oh well, after all it is just a subcompact car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well it's always good when throttle response increases. It's good to hear that it's not entirely difficult to DIY. Thnx for the info guys!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Very easy install to do, takes less than an hour. Just be careful when removing and reinstalling the TPS.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is dremeling out the intake required or is strictly a bolt-on? How do you keep the plastic from entering the intake if you're shaving it away with a dremel?

·
Registered
613 Posts
the install took me less than 15 minutes, just removed my sri
unbolted everything swapped the tps(easy) and the throttle cable
and bolted it back on, my girlfriend said "is that it"
it was WAY easier than my sri install....
I can't wait till tomorrow I should be picking up my svt brake kit
just waiting for a day off so I can put it on....

·
Registered
105 Posts
2000blackzx3 said:
Very easy install to do, takes less than an hour. Just be careful when removing and reinstalling the TPS.
Thnx man, that's gonna be my next 'air flow' mod that i do. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
577 Posts
psenechal said:
Is dremeling out the intake required or is strictly a bolt-on? How do you keep the plastic from entering the intake if you're shaving it away with a dremel?
i beleive from what i read, people stuck a rag in the hole before starting to dremel out the INTAKE MANIFOLD, then i guess they vaccumed up the shavings before removing the rag. Most use the gasket as a template on how much to shave away.

you can read this to take a look at how they did it :D
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0112scc_project_ford_focus_zx3_part_3/

Anyone else got input to this?

I have another question, if i do this, is it still possible for me to return the car back to stock and put back on the oem tb?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts