Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are plenty of transmission horror stories on this site...but please consider mine, and post back if you can help.

About a month ago my clutch started screwing up and occasionally I couldn't shift it into the next gear 1-2 or 2-3. And sometimes at a stop it wouldn't go into 1st.

I took it to my dealer and they drove it and couldn't make it happen...they gave me the car back.

So I drive it some more and figure out that it does it mostly when I have really wound the motor up past 6000 rpm...to its redline of 12000rpm (just dreaming) 7000 I mean.

So I took it back yesterday and we drove it again. I told they tech to drive it like he stole it, and it happened to him..."that ain't right" he said.

So now I am in a refrigerator-white focus 4-door PZEV rental from enterprise (not a bad motor)

The service mgr called me today and said they called SVT and I am getting a new clutch and transmission.

NOW HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS!!!!

Should I let them do their thing and hope the next tranny works???

Did SVT fix the prob and I am getting upgraded or different parts?

Should I put in a heavyduty clutch from Ford Motorsport?

Is the flywheel the real prob???

I HAVE TO ACT FAST IF I'M GOING TO DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN WHAT THE DEALER WANTS TO DO...

YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If its under warranty and there fixing it for free let them then if this one screws up go spend money on new pieces for the car I would give it a second change but thats just me

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I'm prob going to do. I was just wondering if I should take this oppty to upgrade\change the flywheel while they're at it.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I wouldn't
I'd let them replace it if it screws up again under warranty or even not under warranty then I would put aftermarket products into it
If you put them in now and it screws up again soon you've voided your warranty and you will have to pay [:(]

·
Registered
185 Posts
I also think you should just let them handle it. Hope it works out!

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
and in the meantime just drive that PZEV like you stole it... [}:)]

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
If its a free replacement... totally let them do it. If it screws up again, then go your own thing....

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
HONDAHATER how many miles are on your car?
R&DSVTZX5 After how many miles did the clutch start giving?
Im just interested to see if it will happen to me I haven't had any problems with the clutch and Ive got a lil over 5k miles right now

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
O if you do bring ur car in just letting you know you won't get it back for a long long time (for the problems ur saying proly a few weeks) to fix the intake radio and outlets on my car it has taken them 2 days it may be 3 if they don't fix it in the next 2 hours

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well this story gets better... Not only are they replacing the clutch and trans, I talked to the service manager yesterday, and they are replacing the FLYWHEEL AND THE INTAKE manifold!!!!

You'd think I'd been taking it to the demolition derby or something!!

I think it was the flywheel all along personally, based on the way it was behaving. I don't think there was anything wrong with the gears or the clutch....WHATEVER!

I asked the mgr if they were putting in any different parts than the ones they were replacing. As far as he knew they were putting the same parts in...nothing improved.

I said,"HOW DO I KNOW THIS WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN??????" He said "YOU DON"T"

I said, "I'm OK with letting you guys do your thing this time, but if it happens again, I am going into the FOMOSPORT catalog and putting some beefier parts in there.

He said I would be on my own, and they wouldn't warranty it. I think THEY SHOULD if I use Ford Performance parts.

My problems started around 13,000 miles. I don't drive it unreasonably hard.

I am supposed to get the car tomorrow. And yes I am driving the tires off the PZEV. LOVE the torque of that motor!! No traction control!!!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Thats weird i brought mine in the other day and they had to replace my intake mainfold also something about it overheating and bending?? something along those lines i never got a super clear explanation he told me it warpped out of shape and that this isn't common on the focus he usually sees it on mustangs

anyone else heard of this??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts