Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the hots for the forthcoming ST version.
I wonder mostly about what the mpgs for it will be?
What do you think?
Will it get as good MPGs as the regular Focus?
As it has a different (Ecoboost) engine? will it be as good? or a lot worse?
I would hope for the same MPGs for normal driving..
(I can certainly understand the MPGs would be far less in spirited driving..
So.. What are you guessing.
My guess would be 24 city 37 hywy labels. with the same average as the standard 2012 Focus, Maybe 1 MPG less...

I am waffling on am i going to even go look at the ST?
Will i really just go buy one..
Or will my common sense stand firm and i keep the sensible Focus i now own?
Will I be overcome with CAR LUST?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would say 22 city 32 Hwy. I was going to say 34 but that is just too optimistic. At least for my lead foot[race]

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I hope you don't want to change your Focus for an ST and strive to get 40+ mpg. It should be somewhere around 18-31 mpg (max). I don't think someone would buy an ST to drive it like a granny. That turbo has to be used to not clog itself. This is why there are sport cars, family cars, compacts and so on. My 2 cents.

P.S. Ford RS is rated at 33.6mpg US (7.0L/100km) extra-urban and 17.5mpg (13.4L/100km) in town for a combined average of 25mpg (9.4L/100km), which translates to an average CO2 emissions of 225g/km. I think the ST should be in the same range. But again, these numbers are with the fuel quality in Europe (better than in NA in my opinion).

·
Registered
422 Posts
Is it going to be the same 2.0 thats in the Explorer? Because the Explorer with the eco boost is rated at 28mpg and is a HELL of a lot heavier than a Focus...

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you don't want to change your Focus for an ST and strive to get 40+ mpg. It should be somewhere around 18-31 mpg (max). I don't think someone would buy an ST to drive it like a granny. That turbo has to be used to not clog itself. This is why there are sport cars, family cars, compacts and so on. My 2 cents.

P.S. Ford RS is rated at 33.6mpg US (7.0L/100km) extra-urban and 17.5mpg (13.4L/100km) in town for a combined average of 25mpg (9.4L/100km), which translates to an average CO2 emissions of 225g/km. I think the ST should be in the same range. But again, these numbers are with the fuel quality in Europe (better than in NA in my opinion).
I actually am looking for multiple reasons NOT to buy the ST.

I like the seats in the ST, the exhaust, stuff like that. I HAD a fast car and drove it fast.. until I just got too old to drive fast IMO.
And had too many speeding tickets.
Driving slow is fun in it's own way, but my natural inclination is to go fast.

So I am just 'thinking' about a ST. If i got the itch.. I might buy one anyway..LOL!
Sitting in one will decide. If I have total seat lust.. well ... then I will jump.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm gonna go check it out next month at the LA auto show, I've also got an itch....

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Elizabeth, I wish you buy one if you like it ! I mean it ! [;)]

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
"Sure would make a nice weekend car" would be My response when asked what I think the MPGs should be.[hihi]

Seriously, it's supposed to be a performance car, offering v6 power with I4 economy, but most people(I'm assuming and generalizing, here) only read up to "v6 power", lol.

Get it for a weekend car and think of it as sneaking a piece of cake during a diet and promise to work it off during the week by hypermiling.[thumb]

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Will it require premium gas?
Without a doubt.

I'm guessing mid 30s MPG on the highway. It's still an efficient engine when kept out of boost, I'd imagine, and on the highway just cruising you won't be in boost, that said the second you go to pass, you'll have all that power on tap because a turbo on 2.0 I'm guessing will spool around 2500-3000 RPMs. Right around where the Mazdaspeed 3 sits.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Here is one example of similar cars N/A and turbo:

2007 Madza 3 (2.3): 26/33
2007 Mazdapeed 3 (2.3T): 18/26

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Considering my Dads state to state car the SHO is getting him 31 at 70... thats a v6 twin turbo weighing 1500 pounds more.

Im going to say 33-35 highway

Hence the name Ecoboost

·
Registered
418 Posts
Due to 6 Speed Manual Gearbox it should give you 36 MPG Highway @ 62 Mph.
When you are cruising very little boosting is going to happen due to low rpm.
It will however (just like the current ST) use a lot of fuel for spirited town driving.
If you are thinking of getting an ST wait about 1 year after launch.
If it's anything like the previous shape ST the first ones were not up to spec and only available in bright colors.
Nowdays they are available in normal colors. My Uncle had one in the shop for about 2 years and we drove it quite a bit
on weekends and it was an absolute pleasure. 2.5l turbo engine.(Similar engine to the Volvo)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts