Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spouse has a 2001 two door focus, and recently the fans stop working causing it to over heat;not even when i turn on the AC the fan turn on. I checked all fuses/relays relating to the fans and everything works fine. I ran my own harness using Fuses/Relays to turn on the fans every time you start the car, and so far its been working up todate, but i would like to put it back to OEM. any help i would highly appreciated. thanks -- Sam

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
There is a cooling fan resistor and 2 relays involved here. I'd check that resistor for continuity first. It's located on the fan shroud- it has a green/blue and a green/white wire plugged onto it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You could probably find that in the owner's manual. It definetely sounds like a relay problem. Just check to see if there is any power going to the fans themselves and track it back from there.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
samnissan2003 said:
Iwill check that resistor tomorrow, how many ohms should i read?
I don't know what the value is supposed to be- just look for continuity.

If that's not it, you could try to jump aross the relays. I will attempt to identify the relay contacts:

looking at the relay socket, you'll see 5 slots. position yourself so the slot on top AND THE MIDDLE SLOT are horizontal from your viewpoint. Then:

top slot- output to motor
bottom slot (which should be verticle from your viewpoint) fused feed
center slot- not used
left & right vertical slots- coil. One should be hot- the pcm pulls the relay in by grounding the other side.

I hope this gives you something to go on with the relays. There is also a 50 amp and a 30 amp fuse in the battery junction box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The relay is good, and i checked both fuses, I have no choice but taking it to an electrical shop. Now i got a new problem besides the fans, the brake lights turn on whenever its not in (P) , at night it seems the brakes are always ON , when i have a blinker on, each light will turn on and off from side to side, like a cop kinda... i have no clue what could cause this now...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Sounds like your electrical system is deteriorating rapidly. Just some random thoughts that might help-

1- The hazard switch is where the brake light/blinker determination is made (with an imput from the stoplight switch).

2- The ocillating effect could easily be caused by a bad ground at just one of the bulbs.

3- No idea about what being in P has to do with all of this.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Regardin the brake lights, I assume you have not recently done anything, like replace the brakelight/tailight bulbs, or you would have told us, right?

The first thing is to check out the bulbs and the bulb sockets. For the small expense, I would go ahead and replace both bulbs, as while it is rare, it is possible for a buld to burn out a filement and short once circuit (tail light) to the other (brake light). So replace the bulbs and, while you are in there, check the sockets for corrosion and the wires. A small bit of WD-40 wouldn't hurt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts