Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll admit to being fanatical about many things concerning my cars. And this is the perfect forum such things, right? So, if you're not a real fanatic, might as well hit the "back" button. [wave]

Objectives....

1. Keep as much water from the rains as possible, while the car is sitting somewhere, out of the engine compartment.

2. Seal the front end, to prevent water while driving, from entering the engine bay, except that which goes through the radiator.

3. Keep the water off the Steeda SRI, as much as possible, at all times.

How to.....

It's not as hard as it sounds. If you do #1 and #2, #3 is solved. Start with #1. Open the hood and have someone hold a hose pointed at the top of the windshield. Run the water gently (don't over-flow the rear hood seal)....and watch where the water drains. On my '06 there are little foam splash pads on both sides, towards the back of the fender. These should be arranged and sealed, so most of the drained water, goes into the cowl, and does not enter the eng. bay.

Now look at the OEM water channels, at the edges of the fender. These drain some water toward the headlight area. They can be improved. I raised the inner edge about 1/2" using a window seal. (everything I used came from Ace hardware). I also sealed the edge of the hood with an automotive "D" rubber seal. This keeps water on the driver side of the hood, from draining into this channel. I didn't seal the hood on the pass side.....hot air off the engine escapes from this opening. (most everything but this, is duplicated on each side). I also applied a caulk seal where the shock tower is welded to the frame....keeps down rust.

Any water that makes it into these drain channels, runs down toward the headlight.

I made a rubber cover for the top of the headlights....water drains down toward the lower edge, where it empties toward the ground.

OK....that's about it for rain protection when the car is not moving. On to #2. While you're driving a surprising amount of water enters the eng. bay. The water that enters through the radiator cannot be avoided, just cleaned up. The other water can be mostly stopped. I took some long foam strips (used to seal around window AC units), and closed off the open spaces on both sides of the radiator (can't see this). So now if I spray a hose into the grill, the water only goes through the radiator fans, like it should. I also used more "D" rubber strips, and sealed above and below the headlights.

Above the grill was also sealed, as well as around the hood latch opening.

On the hood itself there are more seals, around latch piece, and completely around the hood itself. This last seal doesn't touch anything, but it catches some water that makes it past the other front hood seals. You can also see this seal on the over-all photo of the entire bay.

That's about it....my engine bay stays completely dry sitting in the rain, and washing the car. When driving in the rain, some moisture of course enters the bay, but probably 75% less than stock. The Steeda stays dry at all times....so far anyway.

The down-side.....less air is entering and exiting the engine compartment. However.....before and after I did this mod, I did temperature measurements. The difference was insignificant. IMHO. I have two extra fans for the engine compartment to supply cooler air to the Steeda. That's the subject of another mod.

Questions? I guarantee my eng bay stays drier than yours, unless you park in a garage and never drive the thing. [grinking]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Thats hardcore!! lol

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
interesting...but what about the water that splashes from beneath the car up into the engine bay? have you addressed that, or do you feel that is not an issue?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that's an issue, not for around here. When I bought this car from a dealer, the previous owner must have driven through some bad/muddy roads. The bottom of the car was covered with some yellow-colored stain, as was the under-side of the wheel-wells, under the splash shields.

This stain was all over the suspension, and the engine and transmission pans were stained. But that was as high up as it got. The engine compartment was totally free of this stain (I removed a bunch of stuff to check everything when I got the car). It would take quite a splash to make it up to the top of the engine bay.

You'll still have to clean off the engine every so often, but not nearly as often as stock.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just a thought, not necessarily on heat, but on airflow.

Wouldn't a goal be to get *more* air to the SRI? I mean, if it were up to me, and I wanted to waterproof my bay, I'd put the proofing on the inside of the SRI, just so I didn't stop outer-air from getting to the intake.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^^Humm, think about it this way. This engine does not have forced induction. The air that enters through the Steeda setup, is being sucked in. The seal mods do not prevent air from entering the engine compartment, just water.

The fan mods allow cooler air into the engine compartment, but do nothing to raise the air pressure. And even if the engine compartment had a higher pressure than ambient......won't matter at all with a normally aspirated engine.

I was concerned about the possible higher air temperature under the hood, but the fan mods lowered the temperatures to less than they were when stock. In any case performance didn't suffer, and the MPG went up after the Steeda and fan install. And.....my engine compartment is staying very clean.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Rock on. I was just throwing out a thought, is all. I know that there's (practically speaking) no way to increase the pressure so that there's *not* a vaccuum at the intake. I was just thinking to help improve that situation. Maybe a whopping .01 hp difference.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
in the summer wont this cause more heat soak than normal cause the air wont be able to circle as well?

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
^^agreed. the only air you have to be sucked in is the uberhot air that is trapped in the engine bay.

IMO, let the engine bay breath and wipe it down once in a while. detailing the engine bay can be fun[thumb]

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
^indeed, so he could do what im doing. A cai for the summer, a sri for the winter.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
That's pretty cool, something I might want to consider especially for winter driving. I gotta give you props, you do some of the most interesting and unique mods I think i've ever seen.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before I installed my Steeda setup, and this hood sealing mod, I did quite a bit of temperature testing, with the sensor located in various places under the hood. It gets hot under there....particularly driving around town.

So... I did my under-hood fan ventilation mod.....there's one fan blowing hot air out of the hood area.

And another fan blowing cooler air inward toward the Steeda air-filter location.

With these two fans running.....the under-hood temps measured lower than stock, both before and after this hood seal mod. So....the air temp being sucked in through the Steeda filter, is cooler than a stock setup by around 25F when driving slowly. I'm suffering from heat-soak much less than most people. I guess you'll have to try the fan mod to believe me.....[:)]

Soconfused is in the process of a similar mod.....check him out about this.

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
thats why i stick with stock box and K&N

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the '05-'07 models, you don't have that option. You have to get rid of the entire intake track up to the TB. Putting a CAI on the car was not an option for me.....due to the very real possibility of sucking in water. No way I was going to risk that.

I know others do it without problems.....but I'm not that lucky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts