Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am making my first long distance trip in my zx3 that i bought about 5 or 6 months back, and before i leave i am making sure all general maintenance all small parts that need to be replaced are done so my car is running its best. I will be driving through some mountains for about 50 mins at one point and i know its hard on a car to run the ac driving in the mountains. Problem is like i posted a long time ago that my fans only kick on when my ac, or heater is on. I know my car has started to heat up because 0f not having the fans kick on in a drive thru before, and once i went to the mountains in my old truck and the grade caused it to heat up quite a bit, so im thinkiing before i go i should get this issue fixed. I know that fan resistors are a big issue in causing the fans to not turn on when the ac/heaters not on. But the only part my local auto store has is a blower motor resistor, and not a fan resistor, just checking these two parts are different correct? And is there a possiblity the blower motor resistor could be the issue also? Please lmk what i need, i drive a 01 zx3 with a 2.0 zetec.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
I know that fan resistors are a big issue in causing the fans to not turn on when the ac/heaters not on. But the only part my local auto store has is a blower motor resistor, and not a fan resistor, just checking these two parts are different correct?
Correct. You need Ford part # F5RZ-8L603-AC or its equivalent. It's mounted between the fans in the radiator shroud.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114907

And is there a possiblity the blower motor resistor could be the issue also?
No. The blower motor resistor controls the speed of the cabin blower motor. If you get speeds 1-3 on the dial the resistor is functioning.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In any case, I'm pretty sure that the heater blower motor resistor has no role in the control of the radiator cooling fans, at least their low speed operation. The input to their high speed operation from the A/C system is from a component called the "dual pressure switch" which is monitoring the pressure of the A/C refrigerant at a specific point in the refrigerant's path within the system. I believe the A/C must be operating correctly for this signal to be sent to the fan control circuit (via the PCM), and that the blower motor must be operational for the A/C to operate correctly, but all this would only affect the high speed fan motor operation.
Yes, you probably need to change the fan motor resistor.
Good luck,
Monoblanco

1 - 3 of 3 Posts