Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Ford had previously replace my fan blower (for the interior) once and now is making noise again during cold weather days.....

Now, being out of warranty, need to replace this myself... Anyone know of a site with instruction in performing this?

·
Registered
595 Posts
are you sure you need to replace it? usually leaves get stuck in blower motors making a noise, and gets worse the faster you put the speed.
I havent done one on a focus but usually their pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Agreed^^^ Make sure the blower didn't just suck something in like a leaf. I have had it happen before.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, i mean the fan for our a/c and heater, the one that is use for our interior...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah I know. The interior a/c blower motor can get leaves in them.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh... so how do I access it and clean it?

·
Registered
535 Posts
the motor should be under the glove box, remove the glove box and see if you can access the motor there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem. The fix is relatively easy. Open the glove box and remove the hinge screws, This will give you access to the blower motor. Disconnect the electrical plug to it and then undo the three screws. The bearings are sealed but with care and a little lubrication sprayed sparingly into each end the problem is corrected. I would recommend using G-96 lubricant (available at gunshops) instead of the ubiquitous WD 40 as it does not freeze up at -30c. I would also recommend purchasing a Haynes manual, it shows this and many other procedures listed in these forums. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My blower is also making a very annoying noise. I tried opening the blower motor but I could not find the screws to unscrew Does anyone have a diagram or a picture to help? Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have tried to live with this noise since I got my car (6 months ago).. but if anyone can help, it will be great! =)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I removed and cleaned the fan using brake cleaner to remove some built up dust etc, then I lubricated as suggested above. I sprayed some good penetrating lube first, then pushed some moly grease (it was available) in too, then added some more penetrating lube to help disperse the grease. So far so good, I've had some cool mornings and the fan has yet to squeak. We'll see how well it holds out in winter.

·
Registered
347 Posts
^^^^ Cheffy's got the right idea, just lube the heck out of the parts that move. not to sure about the moly grease, but hey, whatever fixes it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
These diagrams may help

Hi all,

I was completely confused by all this, looking to get the motor out through the glovebox.

After searchingn for aaageas and actually paying someone, I now have diagrams which I shall share with y'all!

[popcorn]

Firstly go into the glovebox. Push the sides of the glovebox in, each side at a time to give the rubber bungs clearance. On the left there is a little black piece of plastic like a hinge, push this to the right and it will undo. Then drop the box right down. Remove the screw directly facing you, you can see the top of this part here

Then remove the felt like panel that is UNDER the glovebox, there is one row of 3 phillips screws, ignore these completely. Look lower. There are actually 3 phillips scrivets (screws and rivet combo) here. Carefully undo the screws - if you push too hard they will go back in - then pull them out with their housing.

You get under the blower this way. Then undo the three phillips screws from underneath, one on each side and one at the back.

And bobs your uncle. There is a grey clip on the electrical connector, push it towards the connector and pull.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mine makes a high pitch squeak when it's on setting #1 and I turn the steering wheel to the left. Once it warms up a bit I'll have to get in there and re-grease the thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a great help. My problem is different as I live in the country and I had a mouse eat through the plastic grid that is supposed to keep foreign objects out. The mouse died and the stench is nasty. Fixed the intake by attaching 1/2 hardware cloth. Hopefully that will dissuade any critter from chewing their way in again. (Also removed a massive nest)

BTW. 2000 SE with 265K miles. Also, forgot about the timing belt the first time. It only lasted 198K miles. Still getting about 30 MPG in the summer and about 28 MPG in the winter. Only real problem is lack of power. I doubt I can claim 90 HP any more. Too bad they no longer make the SE. Nice little car for commuting.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Do it right once.

Here's my 2 cents worth. NAPA sells a Chain and Cable Lube sold under a can # Macs 1370. It's pricey, but you use very little to get the squeaks out. I've had a can now for a yr. and still got more in the can. Cost about 8-9 American bucks. Goes a long way.
And no I ain't a NAPA dealer! lol.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mine was squeaking too so I pulled it out and vacuumed it up and lubed it and it stopped squeaking. There were definitely some leaves in there. While I was at it I installed a cabin air filter so that I wouldn't have to worry about leaves any more.

I used tri flow lube for it because that is what I had around and I use it on bikes to good effect. Pretty much any good lube will work (WD40 is not a lubricant).

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tri-Flon is good stuff, straight 30W (couple drops) has kept mine going for a couple years now after the annoying low speed squeak started...

The squeaky wheel.... got the grease!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts