Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of using plasti dip on some of the parts on the exterior of my focus. Just wondering if anyone has used it before and if there is anyone with some creative ideas to share or even some tips on usage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im thinking just to start off and see how it does with the Ohio weather, that i'll do the alloy strip on the side along the windows, around the fog lamps, and the front grille. not real fond of the shiny business on the focus. Also might do the wheels. its pretty easy to remove, ill post some pictures of it when im done. Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the front chrome brow, fogs and rim caps plasti dip'd
It's been months now and still holding up, no peeling or scratches.

It has a grippy matte black finish to it, You don't need to sand or prime the pieces just spray it on.

We'll see how it holds up in the winter.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
It's a bit wet out this week...but you get the idea.

Will be doing the grill as well, as soon as the weather clears up. I tried doing JUST the chrome bits of it when I did the fogs, but it was too difficult to tape it off and then remove the tape after everything was done, without having the rubber peel off.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Fogs look like they are flat black. They look good though, how are they holding up? Any chips in the paint?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Fogs look like they are flat black. They look good though, how are they holding up? Any chips in the paint?
Plasti Dip is more of a rubber coating, its stands up much better than spray paint to rocks and debris. I had the chrome grill on my G8 Plasti Dipped for 30,000 KM and it didn't have a ding in it.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I wouldn't call it a military style flat black (like camo black, etc.) but it is pretty matte. It is rubber, so it should hold up to chips very well...that being said I've driven about 4 miles since doing it, so I really can't comment much on how it holds up.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I love the stuff, esp when blacking out chrome bits because there is zero sanding or chipping...just spray it on.

Here is the grill on my forester, it used to be oem black with a chrome rim around it. This is over 30k miles later and after a harsh winter and summer in CO. They throw a lot of dirt on the roads there in the winter.

Its also great for blacking out badges

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
That looks really good, but my focus is candy blue... so I think a matte black might look a little off with the gloss black.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts