Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust on my Focus right now, and I just put a new rear bumper on the car from a body kit I purchased, the way the bumper looks makes me want dual exhaust, or at least 2 exhaust tips sticking out.. I was wondering what would happen if I put a Y-pipe on the rear side of my muffler and ran a second piece of pipe to the other side of the car so I had 2 exhaust tips.. Just a couple questions and concerns:

-Will this affect the torque or hp of the car at all?
-Will this change the sound of the car? (Tone or volume)
-Anything I should know about performing a mod like this?

Thanks in advance for your tips!

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
first dont expect any added exhaust flow from it
it will effect the tone but not the volume
no increase or decrease of power
get the Y pipe over the axle if you can.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would imagine there would be little effect on the performance of the car, but- is it really worth it......?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
-Will this affect the torque or hp of the car at all?
-Will this change the sound of the car? (Tone or volume)
-Anything I should know about performing a mod like this?
1) no
2) yes, louder, deeper
3) there may not be appropriate hangers / holes in the chassis to hang the exhaust. you are likely to be drilling, tapping, screwing. to add this extra pipe; could pose a corrosion issue. Could cause extra difficulty when/if servicing fuel pump, may have to cut exhaust. you still have fake dual... although most cars, even the v8s have fake dual exhausts. even with "true" dual most add x or h pipes, which makes them not truly dual.

props on using the correct dual, i see duel a lot, and it drives a little insane.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
-Will this affect the torque or hp of the car at all? No
-Will this change the sound of the car? (Tone or volume) No
-Anything I should know about performing a mod like this? No, because your going to pay someone to bend a pipe, weld/install it for you.
It's mostly just cosmetic to match your bumper. Do as focusmaniaczx3 suggested and get the pipe welded over the axle if possible else your going to have a dead pipe. [wiggle]

·
Registered
917 Posts
There is also the problem of running hot exhaust pipes near fuel lines with no heat shielding, and as Arlenn says, lots of other issues. In the UK it would most probably fail our yearly MOT Test for vehicle road worthiness. As I said before- is it really worth it?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Usually they look odd because the exhaust will exit one pipe more than other, and one will be carboned up while other looks fresh. Unless you swap them after a while. There are a few who have tried it, look for pics and see if you really like it that much first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Usually they look odd because the exhaust will exit one pipe more than other, and one will be carboned up while other looks fresh. Unless you swap them after a while. There are a few who have tried it, look for pics and see if you really like it that much first.
yep, hes right. The carbon build up is really the only thing. I had this setup up with no y. I just welded a flexible exhaust hose off a T connector. Ended up replacing the ehasust over the axle and filing in my body kit exhaust hole on the right side. My question is... ther is a body kit that offers a middle exit hole... how do you do THAT?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It is the 'Poison' body kit
The rear bumper doesn't have deliberate cuts for dual exhaust, it seems as if it were made to suit single OR dual, so it looks alright with only one pipe, I'm content with it, the dual look was just a thought but it sounds like more trouble (and money) than it's worth.

One thing though, my car is very quiet at idle, I wouldn't mind it running a little louder, any way to increase the volume of sound when at idle? I don't imagine there is much I can do for that so this may sound like a dumb question, but I figured it was worth asking, because you guys always have good insight!

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you were able to increase the exhaust sound at idle- then at normal running it would sound horrendous! Best left as is in my opinion, or find an aftermarket 'performance ' silencer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'm not going to mess with it, why fix what's not broken, right? I just wish I could make a little louder, you can barely hear that beautiful magnaflow rumble at idle.. :(

·
Registered
788 Posts
I also have the poison kit, given slight thought to having dual exhuast and even had a couple people asking why i don't have dual. But i think it looks fine, exhaust tone is perfect, i wouldn't do a thing to change the way it sounds.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Posted via FF MobileSearch a bit as mentioned for older threads, can`t remember where posted, but one option used (with pics) was a camaro resonator/muffler with one inlet & 2 outlets for a splitter. see if you like the pics - the OP on that thread liked the result.....

·
Registered
594 Posts
^^This.

Good look, avoids fabbing a Y and running into the other potential issues already mentioned. Paint the muffler black and no one's the wiser.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts