Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been wanting to wire one for a while now, im gonna be getting an alarm sometime later, prolly next summer or so, too broke now, so i have some questions?
can i wire it to a stock security led or w.e. is on the dashboard (apparently its some kinda small chip led or something so im not sure)? if yes what would i need for that?
I did some research (if i just wire it without a security blinking led) and ppl say i need 3 wires led (ground, constant 12v, and 1 is going to a white ignition wire) + their are on ebay but i dont like that ebay idea, i want to make one myself
i went to radio shack and found only 2 wires leds, so i dunno
i asked the guy there if i can just buy leds then wire a resistor to it and end up with 3 wires somehow and he said no.. im not an electrician and i have no idea what to do :)
thx in advance

·
Registered
29 Posts
re fake alarm

I made one years ago for my car.Here is what I bought from Radio Shack to make it.( I am going from memory from 10 years ago)
1- blinking red LED- was a buck or two at the time._need a 2 pin one.
1- AA battery holder.Not sure on the price, I scavanged a holder from a old electrical device.(go to a thrift or goodwill store to find one dirt cheap-like a old electrical wall clock!)
1- short lenght of light(thin) wire. About 18gauge, colour does not matter.
1- old cassete tape box.
1- micro(small 2 position switch) (toggle will stay in either position i.e. on/off)
from Radio Shack for a couple of bucks.

Drill a small hole for the switch male thread to stick out of the side of the cassette box.

Drill a small hold for the LED light to protrude out of the side of the cassette box.

paint the cassette box flat black.

after it is dry, install the AA battery holder to the inside of the cassette(glue works good)

glue or silicone the LED light to the cassette box with the red light sticking out of the side.

insert the toggle stick through the hole you drilled for it so that the male thread is showing outside of the cassette box and then thread on the nut until it is snug(tight) in the cassette box.(nut comes with the switch)

Need 4 pieces of wire in total about 5 inches long overall. And bare (remove the insulation off of each end about 1 inch.

Solder 1 wire to each of the battery terminal ends to the toggle switch terminals.(2 in total)

Solder 1 wire to each of the toggle switch terminals to each rigid wire on the LED light.(2 in total)

I have to admit that at the time I built mine, I did not have a solder gun so I tied the wire ends to the battery terminals,switch and LED ends. Takes awhile....not the best way to do it though.

Now you are the proud owner of a fake flashing alarm that can be put anywhere and can be turned off so it does not distract you when driving. Seems to work too.. at the time I had it, both cars beside mine were stolen from my underground parking garage but they left mine alone. ( my car was just as good as thiers!!)

Wayne

Good luck!!

P.S. Radio Shack also sold fake alarm stickers which I used.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i was thinking about that too, but instead of an aa battery just to wire it to a cars battery with a resistor and just get a switch, would be the same and wouldnt have to change the battery, but i kinda wanna do it the right way, without any switches or anything, coz if you forget to turn it off before you drive or w.e. its gonna look funny :)

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
blinking light wont scare off thieves.... im pretty sure they can tell the difference between a real alarm and a blinking led.... ask the guy who got his car busted into last year that lived by me.... he had a blinking red led in his car... didnt stop the thieves...

i duno what to tell you but just get a system if your that worried....

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol im broke :) but actually, i should prolly get an alarm then :) lol this weekend [:D]

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
not trying to push you into anything just lettin you know from my experience.... or atleast what ive seen

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya i know.. i just wanted to wait a bit and get it a bit later, coz now ill be getting new gauges and stuff, but i guess gauges will wait another week or 2 :)

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
if you put any leds in your car with an actual alarm ask them to put 1 in each headlight. i think that would look sick. I seen them on a truck before. that way the thieves will be thinking u jsut added leds til they try and break into it then your alaem goes off

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya i know, i saw it once too, and i was gonna actually do it to my previous car, but man, it draws too much attension... maybe ill get a switch for them, so just turn them on at like safe places and keep them off at like university parking or something :), coz even if they break in and alarm goes on, id still have to pay for a broken window or something

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trying to find a good alarm now, with like an lcd screen remote :) but their all way too expensive :(.. any suggestions on a good not pricey system?

·
Registered
140 Posts
your not gonna find anything with a lcd remote for cheap unless its possibly used.

I personally have the Python 990, the nice thing about the more expensive ones is the expandability to add on in the future like glass break sensors, window rollup/down modules, tilt sensors, motion sensors...etc.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
blinking led lights wont stop a theif, it will make them work faster

get a paging alarm and be done with it

when i had my focus i had the viper 5900 two way remote start/alarm/keyless entry

worked great, 1 mile range was awesome

blinking led = epic fail

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
The idea is to keep a thief from breaking into your car......not catch him afterward. Expensive looking stuff that's visible attracts thieves, and invites the break-in.

So.... if your car looks stock, and doesn't look like an easy/profitable break-in, you might not suffer any damage.

Here's my blinking LED security upgrade....... Combine that with a steering wheel lock, and your car might still be there unharmed, when you return.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am getting my viper 2 way installed today. To much theft going on around these days, and it seems everyone is out to steal catalytic convertors these days

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
went to the couple of stores today.. so the cheapest alarm/car starter combo is like 249.99+ tax installed + if i want keyless entry is another $50 and remote trunk is another 30... so pretty much the cheapest will be around $380.. i didnt think it would be that much lol.. so prolly ill be going with a fake led for now and i talked to the guy who installs them if i can do it myself, he was like ive doing it for 16 years and it still takes me around 4 hrs.. so i dont think ill be able do install it myself..so anyone did it themselves? if yes how hard was that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts