Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, when i first got my car, the clutch was fully released about 3/4 ways out, but as of last week, i noticed i have to just about take my clutch out to get it to grab. It still grabs hard and i dont slip at all, yet...lol, i can still chirp 2nd and i did the 30mph in 5th gear test. I also have noticed that my "clutch rattle" has all of a sudden disapeared...and i have yet to smell the horrid burning clutch smell....any ideas?

BTW: miles on the car are 56K, i bought it at 50K....so i dont think it was me who burned out the clutch this fast, because the car had both front tires on the "wear bars" when i bought it. And i have driven a MTX b4 this car, my dad tought me, and he used to plow parking lots in the winter with MTX Trucks....so idk, just tossing this around. Thanks.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no replies?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Stolle said:
i have to just about take my clutch out to get it to grab.

I don't think anyone knows what you mean by this. Is the pedal high or low- hard or soft?

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
soft feel to it, and i need to let the pedal almost all the way out to grab...its alot softer then my friends zx3 with 84K on it...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
OK, well, this wouldn't be anything hydraulic, since hydraulic problems leave you with a low pedal. And if your pedal effort suddenly became lower, I'm thinking pressure plate failure. Trouble is, I would expect the clutch to be slipping if the pressure plate has failed. Whatever it is, it's going to require the trans to come out, I'm pretty sure. If it were mine, I'd drive it a while and hope the problem makes itself known.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Stolle, what's this 5th gear / 30mph test you refer too? Does the clutch shudder or slip at that gear and speed if there are issues?

My clutch seems to be engage farther away from the floor than before and I'm not sure but I think there might be some slipping. I'm probably being paranoid though. [paranoid] I mean my car doesn't even have 33k yet!

Blur, if it is a pressure plate, how could I nail that down?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
Yes, if your clutch is on its way out putting the car in 4th or 5th gear at a low speed and hammering on the gas is a good way to find out. If the engine bogs you're fine, but if the RPMs jump and the car doesn't go any faster the clutch is slipping. When my CM stage 4 was going out it would occassionally slip and hold most of the time, but as it wore down further it would slip more and hold less, until it got to the point where I had to rev to 5000 RPMs in first gear just to get moving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Speaking of first gear, if I let the clutch out without gas the engine bogs if I don't give it gas and I let it out too quick. Does that suggest a good clutch?

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Pirate Steve said:
Speaking of first gear, if I let the clutch out without gas the engine bogs if I don't give it gas and I let it out too quick. Does that suggest a good clutch?
As well as a bad driver!!

[rofl]

sorry, couldn't resist

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your clutch doesnt necessarily have to slip before you know it is finished. If it was a manually adjusted clutch cable you would be able to squeeze out a few extra months by adjusting the friction point, but since you are hydraulic there is nothing much you can do exept wait for it to go totally or change it right away. The reason it is getting higher and higher is because the disc/pressure plate/TOB are getting more and more worn down and the clutch lever has to go further before it can engage the gears. I suggest remove the tranny and swap your clutch. I just finished this job on my car and it really wasn't so bad.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Pirate Steve said:
So the engine bogs, but doesn't stall if you let the clutch out without giving it gas? The engine should stall almost immediately if you let the clutch out without any throttle...

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
There's a big difference between engagement and when the clutch starts to grab. I have a Spec stage IV that I put in in March and has ~15,000 miles on it, and it engages fully pretty close to the end of the pedal travel, there's maybe 1" or so of travel after it engages. It starts to grab maybe 2-3" off of the floor...although I'd take all of the distance measurements with a grain of salt...its just a rough estimation.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
A good torture test for the clutch is do the 4th gear test everyone talks about, but push the clutch momentarily while you're hard on the gas. If the clutch can regain lock up under full power like that it's likely in good shape.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts