Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a crank no start issue going on with a 2005 ford focus (2.0 duratec). Girlfriend parked the car one evening and next morning it wouldn't start for her. I tried later on in the day and it got one start and figured she was mistaken, but on future tries again it cranks but no start.

• Battery voltage is good.
  • Fuses are good.
  • Changed the fuel filter.
  • Used spark tester, passed.
  • Passed a compression test.
  • Using a automotive oscilloscope on the fuel tank hear a 'whine' that I believe to be fuel pump when turning the ignition to 'on'.
  • Also using the oscilloscope on the fuel pump relay hear a click (which I believe combined with hearing what I believe to be the pump come on confirms relay is good?)
  • Used a fuel pressure testing kit (next to fuel rail), it tested at 0 pressure.

My question is does the 0 fuel pressure reading (but hear the pump?) point to a failed fuel pump? Is there anything else I can check or should I just swap the pump? I am not an expert by any means but have been able to do quite a few repairs throughout the years so can handle most basic things. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You should hear the pump run for a couple of seconds and then stop when you turn the key to the RUN position (don't turn to START). Do this in a quite place with your door closed and radio off as the pump is not very loud.

If you don't hear the pump run, then one thing to check is the fuel shutoff by the passenger's right foot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah @FocusKnot I definitely heard it (or what I believe to be it, hard to say absolutely 100%), both just sitting in the car and using oscilloscope on the tank it seems clear as day. I'd describe it as slight hum or whining for a couple seconds. Also did double check the fuel shutoff just in case and it wasn't tripped.

@amc49, Yeah that's the main thing I was wondering about, believing I hear it but not seeming like it is functioning. I went ahead and pulled the tank last night, new pump in place. Putting it back in today, hopefully I'll find out in a couple hours if that WAS the issue haha.

Thanks for the responses guys, read about a bajillion posts online but nice to have some feedback. Probably 95% of the posts I found were resolved by the checks I had already done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts