Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Just ordered a 2007 Focus ZXW SES and would like to know if anyone knows what brand tire this model comes with from the factory. The wagon comes with a different tire than the other models and the dealer didn't know.

I traded in a 2003 ZTW Focus and had to buy new tires at 600 miles because the GoodYear tires that came with that car were horrible in snow and rain.

Appreciate it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On the 2003 ZTW, I replaced the OE Goodyear tires with all-weather Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires and the difference in handling, braking, wet/dry traction and noise was immediate and very noticable.

We have 4-5 months of winter conditions here and was thinking of running a dedicated winter tire on the new 2007 ZXW. Is this a good idea or would I be giving up too much in handling and wear on the tires. I only drive about 8,000 miles a year.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and what the results were.

Thanks.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I know you said the ZXW comes with different tires but my 06 SES came with POS pirellies. So if you do have those go ahead and change them now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the salesman said the ZXW came with a 15'' Pirelli, but a different model tire from the other Focus models. From what I have read in the last few days, they will be changed as soon as I get the car on Tuesday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I finally got the new 2007 ZXW SES and the salesman was wrong...no Pirelli's. The car came with the same @#$%%& tires that my '03 ZTW came with new...Goodyear Eagle RS-A's! Horrible tire on all counts. So, I'm off to the tire dealer to get another set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-T's. Last time he gave me $60 each for the Goodyears in trade for the Bridgestones and they had a few hundred miles on them.

The Bridgestones made the first Focus a much better riding and safer driving car in all respects. I know these are good tires after driving in all kinds of weather in the last 3 years. They went with the trade and were still in great shape at 23,000 miles.

Thanks to "The Tire Rack" for the info...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah I replaced the crappy Goodyear's on my '06 ZXW the first week I bought it.

I went with 195/65/15 Kumho Touring Plus 732's. Half the price of the Goodyears and 10x's a better tire.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Factory tires are almost always garbage. My 06 ZX3 came with P6s. It's my first set of Pirellis and I'm not that impressed. I am hooked on Kumhos. I have 33" Kumho M/Ts on my Grand Cherokee and they out perform everything at half the price. I just ordered new wheels for the ZX3 and went with Kumho's new summer tire. Now if they would only come out with a snow only tire.

·
Registered
415 Posts
wait the ZXW doesnt have a 16" std any more? Thats super gay. I have a set or ST rims with the perrellis on em if you wanna stock upgrade LOL

·
Registered
531 Posts
padavid said:
Well, I finally got the new 2007 ZXW SES and the salesman was wrong...no Pirelli's. The car came with the same @#$%%& tires that my '03 ZTW came with new...Goodyear Eagle RS-A's! Horrible tire on all counts. So, I'm off to the tire dealer to get another set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-T's. Last time he gave me $60 each for the Goodyears in trade for the Bridgestones and they had a few hundred miles on them.

The Bridgestones made the first Focus a much better riding and safer driving car in all respects. I know these are good tires after driving in all kinds of weather in the last 3 years. They went with the trade and were still in great shape at 23,000 miles.

Thanks to "The Tire Rack" for the info...

Be sure you consider the sample size. 7 million combined miles vs 57 million

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
I have heard nothing but complaints when it comes to the RS-A's, but I really don't have anything against the stock p6's. Obviously, they are not as good as my summer BFG tires, but I don't think they are the worst tre ever.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't consider the sample size because I already had those same tires on a new Cavalier that I bought years before. I think the only reason the sample size is so big is because of all the cars that came with them standard.

I used them from September through January and had to get rid of them. They were horrible in dry or wet conditions, snow was scarey, cornering, ride, noise, etc...that was the reason they got traded as soon as I got the 2003 Focus and then again when we got the 2007 Focus.

The Bridgestones on the other hand made the car feel like a different vehicle. The ride, handling, grip, quiet, cornering, wet or dry, etc...could tell the difference in half a block. Used them for 3 years and got them again for the 2007 and never looked back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts