Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from a new Focus owner.

I'm trying to identify the different connectors on the OE radios.

#1 & #2 are the power, ground, speaker...

#3 is? Maybe steering wheel controls?

#4 is? Maybe Sat radio or SYNC?

Anybody know? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I believe #1 is power and speaker output, #2 and #3 are canbus ports to the different SYNC and other control modules, and #4 should be for the satellite radio antenna.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Car Audio, SYNC, MFT & Electronics for more looks.

Welcome to FF

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you trying to achieve?
I just added cruise control, and the steering wheel I used also has the audio controls. Thought if I could pick up a radio that would work with the wheel controls, I might do that. There are several factory radios on ebay starting around $25 shipped. But I can't find a way to identify which one would work.

Good chance I'll just go with an aftermarket system. Then I'll even be able to go back to using a flash drive instead of an mp3 player.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The steering wheel controls run analog from clock spring to the 4.3 screen above radio then get output onto data network to radio. Your car may not have the wiring from clock spring to screen to support the steering controls. If it does you can use any trimmed radio as the steering controls are fed the the data bus into the larger main harness

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Donno exactly how the steering wheel controls connect to the rest of the car. Donno if whoever installed the steering wheel hooked up the controls for the radio too.

But for starters, pull your radio out and take a look at the long wide harness (plug 1 in your pic). The two rows of small pins close together towards the center of the harness. One row will have one more pin than the other. That one pin is #20. Next to it would be #19 and then #18, etc. Do you have wires in both the 19 and 18 pin locations? Those are your steering wheel control wires.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The steering wheel controls run analog from clock spring to the 4.3 screen above radio then get output onto data network to radio. Your car may not have the wiring from clock spring to screen to support the steering controls. If it does you can use any trimmed radio as the steering controls are fed the the data bus into the larger main harness
On a 2008?? I believe pin 18 is your variable resistance wire and pin 19 is your ground reference for the SWC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts