Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this issue is a bit strange to say the least. Recently my locks and windows have connected themselves together. Sometimes I cannot roll the windows down until I hit the unlock button. Other times, in order to unlock the doors I have to put the car in park. When I do manage to get the windows to roll up or down, they are slow. If i try to roll up more than one it is terrible. Also the locks sound like they are getting no power or as if they are dying. I dont get it. The only thing I could thing of is my remote start but it has worked perfectly for nearly a year before this incident. I disconnected the remote start but the problem persists. Any ideas. thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
How is your battery and charging system? Poor alternator output, bad diodes, and/or a poor battery can do very strange things to power door locks, windows, wiper motors ect. Do they work better with the engine off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea those were some other things I was thinking of. two other things I forgot to mention. When the car isnt running, if the dome light is on and I press the brake pedal, the dome goes dim. also whether the car is running or not, when i do use the buttons to roll up the windows, the lights for those go very dim, almost completely dark. I hope its something as simple as a battery or alternator as I dont need to rework the electrical system. Thanks again.

Edit: Also when I roll the windows up and have the door open so the chime is going off, when it rolls all the way closed the chime goes off until i release the button. And I've noticed that the seat belt light also goes out at the same time.

As to your question if things are better when the car is off, nope. Its all the same. Checked this morning.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"if the dome light is on and I press the brake pedal, the dome goes dim."

sounds like a bad battery or battery connection. Clean the battery connectors and, if you have a volt meter, measure the battery voltage when the engine is not running and the car hasn't been running for a couple of hours. Or, better yet, just get the battery tested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked the battery and it reads a little over twelve when the car is not running and hasn't overnight. But I still am thinking the battery. Any other ideas...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Typically you should get 12.5 - 12.6 volts with the battery at rest. A reading of 12 volts indicates a battery at about 25% of it's maximum charge.

Did you also loosen and clean the battery connectors?

P.S. Noting your location, it is an interesting coincidence. I once knew a person named Ryan who grew up in Blaine, MN.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I cleaned the connections and they look cleaner than new now. I just think its weird that sometimes I have to unlock the doors to roll the windows down....

Yea, I've lived here most of my life. Interesting.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I just think its weird that sometimes I have to unlock the doors to roll the windows down...."

As I said, if your resting battery voltage is 12 volts, it sound like your battery is dying, as that indicates it only has a 1/4 charge.

I would have the battery load tested a it appears to be a likely suspect. You might also want to check the voltage while it is running, to make sure it is not a dying alternator that is undercharging the battery.

But my bet is that your battery is going bad. How old is it? If it is still the original battery and five years old, I would bet 98% that your problem is just that you need a new battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the alternator seems good as the charge is 14 volts or something like that (cant remember). The battery is a cheap one anyways and i bet it is in need of a new one. Just dont want to blow $80 bucks to find out that its not the problem. thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts