Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the factory light transmittance of clear windows from the factory? I'm pretty sure they are Carlite windows. If someone knows how to decipher the stamps on the windows, that would also be great.

I searched for information, but only came up with old threads from the Mk1. I've seen anywhere from 70%-98% on threads for different Ford models.

I need to use the transmittance value to find out what tint film percentage I should go with. Even though I currently live in Alabama for school, my car is still registered in Maryland. If I move back there, I want it to be legal. I've had 5% on my car before and I got an inspection ticket, I just don't want to deal with that again. Maryland tint law for cars is 35% NET light transmittance on all windows.

If someone knows for a fact with a source what the light transmittance is or how to decipher the window stamps, I would greatly appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
I don't believe Ford tints the windows from the factory. They do have Solar Tint or UV Glass which is a metal that's infused into the window to help block UV rays, but it's invisible to the eye and doesn't restrict visible light.

And of course you got a ticket for 5% tint... that's dark as hell. [screwy]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't believe Ford tints the windows from the factory. They do have Solar Tint or UV Glass which is a metal that's infused into the window to help block UV rays, but it's invisible to the eye and doesn't restrict visible light.

And of course you got a ticket for 5% tint... that's dark as hell. [screwy]
I had them that dark because I was working for a private investigator, I even told the cop that. He was doing one of those "I'll sit on this street to take a break, but it will look like I am doing something," and he pulled me over in my own driveway. Kind of pissed me off because we have a bad drug problem on the street and as many times as we called, nobody came and their customers were going up and down the street while he was righting my the inspection ticket.

Anyways, I want to make sure there is none at all. Even 98% light transmittance counts as something. I might just email Carlite like others have done. I don't know about cops on your side, but our cops are not very friendly. Kind of odd since we don't have near as many people or as much crime.
 

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
Joined
·
2,207 Posts
Been wondering this myself on my MK1, thanks to the chart BTM757 posted I figured this out.

Assume that the factory tint is the darkest (70%) my windows seem pretty dark from factory.

(70% x 50%) or (.70 x .50) = .35

So 50% film will give you a perfect 35% overall. I guess that's how states like IL and MD came up with 35% because 70% is the lowest the factory will go with "clear" windows.

The DOT-75 is the code for the manufacturer of the window. I have the same code and I thought it might've been the percentage too. http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, thanks. I was pretty sure I'd be going with 50% anyways to bring it down to 35%. I already emailed Carlite, so I will see what they say. I'm sure it will be the same thing y'all have told me. I might see if the shop where I get the tint done has a meter to give me an exact number.

I'm being so anal about it because if I get pulled over for tint, the cop could give me a ticket for something else, like exhaust or whatever he doesn't like on the car. Trying to prevent a domino effect.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top