Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a yellow '05 ZX3 w/a (not aftermarket) black vinyl strip down the sides with a silver ZX3 sticker on it. I bought the car used, and wasn't sure about the big sticker. As soon as it began to grow on me, it got scuffed a tad in a parking lot. This is not the last time this will happen, and it will look like crap in a few years. If I am going to take it off, it seem the sooner the better

My question is: Has the vinyl been on there long enough to be noticeable if I take it off (paint fade around the sticker)? I would think that it would take several years, but this is the newest nicest car I have ever owned (don't laugh), and it makes me nervous. I would remove the sticky with goo gone. We have a Ford ambulance at my work, and I can go to town on it with any goo cleaners to make sure they are ok before they touch my paint.

I figure if it looks like shit after removal that I can get a new decal from Ford, or make one at work (we also have a Gerber vinyl cutter and plenty of black and silver viny all I need is to scan in the image(s))

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I say leave it on unless you're planning on getting your car painted. You might not like it now, but you REALLY won't like it when the paint doesn't match.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Chances are you won't have a problem with a line where the stripe was. I peeled off a stripe on my son's 1997 Acura (green) and just used a little rubbing compound (by hand) and a wax. Can't even tell where the stripe was. That stripe was probably on there for years and we live in sunny CA. Your car is an 05' so I doubt you have that much oxidation build up yet.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Ya you can safely take that off and it will be fine. However, those strips look pretty good there. Do you have any more pictures?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured that the paint was new enough that it wouldn't matter.

I now like the stripe. I have seen a similar graphic on a couple of 1g cars. one black one had the same layout, but it was done in a white outline.

The other problem is that the vinyl has receded a tad, and around the edges the sticky has turned dark with dirtiness.

I just figure that it is now or never, but I don't want to be too impulsive. I also think that I could get the decal from Ford, and I have experience with non-auto vinyl application so I know I can get it straight.

I put good picture in my gallery. Don't make fun of me. My girlfriend was taking it so that I could e-mail my family. I was debating about looking silly and looking normal, and instead I looked like that [:D]

Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
531 Posts
I actually like the stripe, it looks really nice. Maybe you should fix it, rather than remove it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Makes it look a little toyish IMO. The font reminds me of the Breeze Espresso's. I'd take a hairdryer to it and get it all off. Little polish and wax and you'll never know it was there.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Mastodon said:
Makes it look a little toyish IMO. The font reminds me of the Breeze Espresso's. I'd take a hairdryer to it and get it all off. Little polish and wax and you'll never know it was there.
Or the Ranger Splash...LOL

·
Registered
759 Posts
I like the sticker, could have been worse

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Hillyard said:
Ya you can safely take that off and it will be fine. However, those strips look pretty good there. Do you have any more pictures?

OMG! Look at that guy! I don't know who he is, but he looks like he was debating whether or not he should look silly or normal! (He came out looking like something completely different though... LOL)

Hey jacko! his Focus has the same color and stripes as yours! That's weird! w00t! [woot]

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[bootyshak THANKS! [bootyshak

If you think that is bad you should see the full version of the original picture, or worse yet, the third picture she took.

The zx3 logo is a tad 80's, which is why I like it. I don't like that it seems like it is bragging that I drive a zx3 like its a 911.
I like the black because it cuts the yellow. If I take it of I want to get the black plastic door trim. I don't want people to stop making those oh so original bee comments. [:D]

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
That was put on by the Dealer. Its probably just a sticker. Easy Peel-off and if it leaves markes wax should take it off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts