Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: As surprised as I am with the quality of the 6006 sound system with 6 indash CD capacity, I'm wondering if the unit has outputs for a sub-woofer or perhaps tweeters.
Anybody know?

I'm thinking it might because this is a Visteon unit which is made for other cars in different configurations.

Jake

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
Nope sorry, it doesn't, you'll need a line-out converter for it (aka LOC), when you get it tap into the front or rear speaker wires with it (if this doesn't make sense right now it will when you see it). By the way, i agree, the 6006 is alot better than most stock stereo head units, it's output is 15 watts rms compared to most stock stereo systems that give between 7-12 watts per channel. It's definately noticable.

- Scott

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll probably leave it alone (as the quality satisfys me) however are you saying that I could hook up a sub-woofer to the system by tapping into the speaker wires? This could't produce a genuine sub-woofer channel could it?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
In effect, yes. The amp should have high level inputs and a low pass crossover to remove the higher freq's. The better the crossover circuit the better a job it will do to remove everything but the bass. Look for 24 dB/octave as the spec for the low-pass filter.
As far as tweeters go, just replace the front speakers with coaxials. I got a pair at profileusa.com for 14.95 they really fill in the high end and clear up the sound.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
If your going to use high-level inputs (tapping directly into the speaker wires from the amp to get it's audio signal) don't get a real cheap amp because the quality of the signal won't be good and will distort, and get a quality line out converter (taps into speaker wires and converts the audio signal into a lower level signal that can be trasfered through rca's to the amp for it's audio signal) if your going to go that way, they're about $20-$30, David Navone is a company taht makes real quality products for cheap:
http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm
Specificly look at the N-7V, if you wanted this i could sell one to you for $20, i had it on my 6006 for a couple days until i got a pioneer 6400 headunit for free from a friend, so i don't have much use for it now.

- Scott

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great info guys!

As far as tweeters go, just replace the front speakers with coaxials. I got a pair at profileusa.com for 14.95 they really fill in the high end and clear up the sound.
DidHeFocus?,

Are the speakers you purchased from Profile USA the model: SF720 which is 5"/7" 2-ways?

Also, do you find these are better speakers than stock in all the ranges, i.e. bass/mid/high?

If they are, perhaps I'll just replace all four door speakers and call it good.

Jake.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yes the speakers are the SF720s.They fit with no alterations except the connectors. I thought the stocks were ok but too boomy. I shopped locally and found that the only speakers I liked were $100/pair. I found the profiles and took a chance. $22 including tax and shipping. I have bass blockers on the front speakers because I have a sub for the low end.
The SF720s did sound better in all areas to me.
I only use only the fronts because the rears are blocked by the seats and they detract from stereo imaging.
If I had a DVD or surround system rather than 2 channel stereo, I would use the rear speakers.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool guys. [cool] Thx for the help.

J ake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts