Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had the factory 16 inch rims get dented form a pot hole or any bumps in the road. I think i might have dented mine (maybe mroe than one) because now the carvibrates like crazy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yup, twice within a matter of 3 weeks. For some reason they are very very soft. Mine actually bent so bad that it cracked along the lip.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn I only had a crack on my old car , an oldsmobile aurora but that was because I had a car that was almost twice as heavy as a ZX3 with rims with a rating for a car about the same weight as a ZX3. So heavy car wimpy wieght rims bent and broken.

I don't know if you bought your car new but if you did, did the dealer give you replacement rims ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
My car is a 2003 and no they wouldnt cover it under warranty. They said road hazards arent their responsibility. I wasnt happy. $240 later I finally had a new one. And after about 2 weeks because they were on back order or some ish. Finally after enough bitching they took one off of another Focus that was damaged and they couldnt sell.

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
why couldn't they sell it? was it badly damaged? THey could have taken a loss on the damaged car if they'd been decent enough.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I had the same problem this winter, i ended up getting a new 16" 6 spoke rim from ford for 160 remounted and balanced. Then what happens, a month after i shell out 160, i buy a full new set of 17x7 rims w/ dunlop tires for 477, bah.

·
Registered
19 Posts
pitchblackab said:
has anyone had the factory 16 inch rims get dented form a pot hole or any bumps in the road. I think i might have dented mine (maybe mroe than one) because now the carvibrates like crazy.

This is so crazy because this actually happen to me like 3 weeks after I got my car. I was driving down the 405 and I hit a pothole that I didnt even see. I actually thought I just busted my tire but when my boyfriend removed it the whole inside of the rim was damaged. I was so shocked. It cost me $165 to repair. I was going to get it repaired buy ford but they said the alloy rims are not repairable cause they are so fragile. Anyhow I got it fixed by Union 76 gas station and they did a great job. I even tried to get Orange County to pay for my damages cause I think I hit the pothole so hard it knocked my aligment off as well. But after 6 months of fighting and trying to get them to pay for it outside of court I got denied. **** OC [?|]

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DAmn though 165 thats what it cost my friend in the SVt to get two bends fixed and repainted. Its usually around 80 bucks for a bend on the inside because there is no refinishing just makingit str8. Any way i got a flat nice and early this morning and when i went to get it fixed well it is bent but at least it is a tiny one in the lip no air comes out but it does vibrate at a certian speed.(i cant remember)

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
never had that happen to me, and i live in and around DC, where there are some roads that are FUBAR'd like crazy. go figure.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Never had it happen to me, either. And we got potholes, really bad roads, ect out the arse.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HAve you people seen the inside of your rims, i said one is even bent but doesnt leak air ????

·
Registered
16 Posts
The bends are due to the low profile of the tire, the less sidewall you have the more likely you are to damage them. Most of the cars out there w/ 45 or lower profile tires have at least one bent wheel on them, no matter how much they paid for them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not true my old car had , I wanna say like 4 inch sidwalls and i bent and cracked the rim. Has to do with the material and the rims weight rating. I think the 16 inch 6 spokes are just badly made.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Yep. They look just fine and dandy to me, too.
Just don't like the brake dust on em but that's a whole different thread.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just passing along a recommendation, but you might want to up the air pressure in your tires. It was recommneded to me once that running with more air pressure in lower profile tires on expensive $$ rims will help prevent pothole damage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts