Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the stock European face gauges, and after installing them, I noticed that they have some bright areas and dim areas. The bulbs are working fine. Is there anything I can do to make them evenly bright? I expected them so much, and what a bumper! I would appreciate your feedback a lot.

·
Registered
607 Posts
do you replace the European face gauge with urs or u just put it on the stock one?
if u replace, the new face gauge should have a white backside..
if u just put ur new face gauge on to the existing one than u may need bigger bulbs...
also check the inside of your gauge panel where the bulbs are located to see wheter it is very dirty or not, this place also needs to be bright white...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two faces (Euro and US) are almost identical, and both have some sticky residue . I really don't see any difference between them, but my old ones (US) work fine. I swapped them repeatedly within 30 minutes to see what is wrong, but could find no difference except that Euro ones are not evenly lit.

·
Registered
607 Posts
if both are the same thats really hard to say WHY one has even lighting and other not [???:)]
i have a euro focus and my stock gauge panel lighting was even before i made my own face gauge...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I have found a reason for the Euro gauges to be dim. If you look at the back of your stock face gauges, you will see that some area are intentionally made more dense. It is perfectly logical, for the light from the bulb cannot have the same intensity everywhere. So in American gauges they they made dim areas right where the light intensity would be the greatest as to supress it a bit thus making the entire face gauges evenly lit. In Euro gauges, however, different areas made dim--to be more precise, where in American gauges the area is most dim, in European gauges it would be least dense, and otherwise.

From this, I came to a conclusion that in European instrument clusters the bulbs are installed in different spots.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Peterbilt said:
I think I have found a reason for the Euro gauges to be dim. If you look at the back of your stock face gauges, you will see that some area are intentionally made more dense. It is perfectly logical, for the light from the bulb cannot have the same intensity everywhere. So in American gauges they they made dim areas right where the light intensity would be the greatest as to supress it a bit thus making the entire face gauges evenly lit. In Euro gauges, however, different areas made dim--to be more precise, where in American gauges the area is most dim, in European gauges it would be least dense, and otherwise.

From this, I came to a conclusion that in European instrument clusters the bulbs are installed in different spots.
Yes when Ford makes there gauges (or rather the company that makes them for the company that ford gets them from) they make some areas shaded, that is to make sure the gauges get lit evenly. You will notice some areas are grey/white on the back of the faces. An insider source from that company ford buys there gauges from tells me that within 2-3 years time, your clusters will no longer be lit by bulbs. LEDS are the future.[:D]

And it just so happens I opened the mailbox Sat. morning to half of my LED order. You can check out the other thread for that.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81128&perpage=12&pagenumber=3

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tyler, what worries me is that your gauges are not evenly lit either. What I want is something similar to the US stock ones but just metric. I am waiting for a gauge from Canada, and I hope it will have the same shading pattern as the US one.

By the way, do you have some other metric gauges besides the RS?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Peterbilt said:
Tyler, what worries me is that your gauges are not evenly lit either. What I want is something similar to the US stock ones but just metric. I am waiting for a gauge from Canada, and I hope it will have the same shading pattern as the US one.

By the way, do you have some other metric gauges besides the RS?

Any of my gauges can be made for the Metric scale[:D]

Tyler

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tyler, I would like to try your LED cluster bulbs. I need four white ones. Can you send me a PM? Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.