Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been reading on here about how people who have done a header install say that the CEL comes on after installing the new header. I was wondering if this is true, or if you can slap those things on without triggering the light. since f2 has lowered their prices, i see headers in the near future. i have a 2.0 duratec btw. input?

·
Registered
399 Posts
yes it is true. you will get a cel. one way to get rid of it is to get a tune to disable the rear o2 sensor.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
because the rear o2 sensor monitors the cat... and if its not there... the PCM thinks it has failed, thus throws the light for you to bring it to a stealership and then they take your first born and pride..

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
yea but if there are three spots for the O2 sensor then why would the CEL come on?
OK, anyone correct me here if I'm wrong, but my understanding is;

The CAT Ho2S is monitoring for a change in oxygen content compared to the pre-cat Ho2S. With a header the CAT Ho2S is now in the same air stream as the pre-cat Ho2S with no change in oxygen content, bingo CEL.

I had a CEL on my 08' after installing the F2 header, did that mod and haven't seen a CEL since.

Reactions: focusboy5

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Lol so could you only do that mod to the 3rd sensor instead of all of them?
The "how to" answers that for you, if you like to experiment (like I do) I'd maybe try just doing one, but be prepared to do both as the "how to" instructs.

PS: The 08' only has 2 sensors. You only have to do one, the one that was in the middle of the CAT (lower one on the header).

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Alrighty^^^that answers my question. Thanks Brad!
You're welcome, and here's another hint - don't try drilling out the spark plug anti-fouler with one shot using a 1/2" drill bit. Those things are made out of some type of material that eats drill bits. Use gradually larger bits until you get up to 1/2" and you'll save bits and frustration. Even with my drill press the damn thing ate one used and one brand new 1/2" bit before I got smart about it. [hihi]

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm about to do a header.. is it safe to run with the cel? because i wont have the money for a tune for a while.. will it mess anything up??

thanks

mason

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
You don't need a tune to get rid of the CEL. Check the link in post #4 of this thread and do that mod. It's dirt cheap, it works and you won't have a CEL.

You won't hurt anything running with the CEL caused by the CAT Ho2S. BUT, you also won't know if anything more serious happens that would throw a CEL because it's already on.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
ya agreed youm need to get rid of you CEL some how so you can see it if and when it pops up again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I did the anti fouler mod and still get a CEL any idea what I might be doing wrong I have 3 sensors the first one I didn't do anything the middle one (the one that went in the cat) I put on drilled anti fouler and the 3rd lowest one I put a drilled and undrilled antifouler my drill bit I used doesn't have the size on it anymore but putting a 1/2" wrench over it show that it was really close

Any ideas??

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
you mite have the wrong sensor in...how many bungs do you have and what sensor/s did you put back in and where? You should have three sensors: White,Gray, and Black rite....?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts