Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background on my project: 5 or 6 years ago I got rid of my SVTF for a 03 Mustang GT, which I sold to buy a house 2 years later. I finally got an opportunity to get back into a Focus and decided to get a 05 ST.

Bought my car 2 months ago now, and have been picking up used bits here and there for cheap on the forums. I noticed very affordable headers popping up here and there and it got me thinking I needed one. I think the ST is a great car, and its factory exhaust actually sounds decent, but what would it sound like with a header? How would the gains be with a tune?

I couldnt find ONE exhaust clip with any header on stock exhaust with a Duratec. You can get a header for less than 200 bucks shipped to your door, but you cant touch a good catback for less than 350 or 400 with similar gains! "Why dont more people do this?!" I thought to myself!

I got a great deal on an F2 header off eBay for 180 bucks. Its brand new, and was only used as a display model bolted to an engine in a showroom. I know they are out of business, and theres problems with the flex pipes, yada, yada, yada... I did the research and this WILL NOT TURN INTO A FORUM DISCUSSING WHICH HEADER IS BEST AND WHY!!! Thank you...

It finally came in the mail yesterday, and I will be putting it on in the near future AND posting sound clips, AND in car videos, AND posting BUTT dyno gains with an updated tune from Tom (the man).

I am going back and forth about wrapping, but I think I am gonna spare the extra expense and just put it on for now.

!!STAY TUNED!!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Wrap it. You don't want to kill the gains from the header with heat in your engine bay.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ran into the same issue trying to compare gains on modifications when I first got my Focus. Nobody thought of doing a header with no exhaust.

Anyway, I personally don't see the point of an exhaust change other than to get different sound and higher quality piping. If you get a header, then that will free up all the airflow that can be freed. Other than that, just do a Lunchbox delete and keep yourself from spending $350-$550 on exhaust that won't do much. This applies to a stock motor, of course.. internal motor changes make a huge difference.

Waiting for someone to nay-say.. [thumb]

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have an F2 header and it works great. I dont think it will match up to a factory exhaust. Not sure tho. I went ahead and found a place that had some left over F2 exhausts and got it. Mine gets ricy sounding after 4k. Just DD its sounds good. Im very pleased with the header other than the flex pipe, which it seems you already know about. You will need to get different bolts, for where the header meets the exhaust. The bolts they gave me were to wide. Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
716 Posts
Wrap it. You don't want to kill the gains from the header with heat in your engine bay.
X2. Take your time and wrap it. It makes a huge difference in underhood temps.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Header to a stock exhaust is pointless. Exhaust is so restrictive just like everything else on duratecs. U will prob see no gain with a header/stock exhaust. Just loud noises! Gotta open up that exhaust and let her breathe!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had my obx header on with the stock exhaust and could hardly tell the difference in sound. I didn't really notice a power difference either.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The ST is the best cat back stock system going= no lunch box, 1 muffler that sound's sporty. I'd run it w/ a resanator & delete the little cat after the flex. The best is Focussport's stealth muffler, fit's right after the flex. I have one of their Header/ flex pipe & a stealth muffler coming, to go w/ my FRPP's Borla system.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
happyhands, i dont see why it wouldnt fit the factory exhaust.

i have a hard time believing you dont see any gains from a header swap. getting rid of a cat with 96k miles on it and changing the diameter of the pipes should increase flow regardless of the rest of the exhaust. i would think you should get as much of a gain as from an intake. the design of a header also plays a role with scavenging and better exhaust timing.

this is why i am doing it and documenting what i find. so anyone interested can look it up and make an educated decision.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also, probably going to wrap it now. i can get wrap for 50 bucks, plus the spray and ties.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Never mind, it wasnt that the header wouldnt fit stock exhaust its that the F2 header wouldnt fit with Fswerks exhaust. I asked around and it would only fit a F2 exhaust by what i could find out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Never mind, it wasnt that the header wouldnt fit stock exhaust its that the F2 header wouldnt fit with Fswerks exhaust. I asked around and it would only fit a F2 exhaust by what i could find out.
i have the f2 header feeding into a fswerks stealth muffler

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is it muffler or header back exhaust? If its full exhaust then ill be switching my exhaust next year. I like the F2 exhaust it makes power, but it pretty ricy. I was going to buy the FSwerks stealth exhaust, but no one could tell me if it would fit a F2. I didnt want to wast $500.

·
Registered
45 Posts
let me know how this goes! i have an f2 header(that im watiing to put on until i get a high flo cat) and a deleted lunchbox mod, im just gonna keep the stock exhaust and get a high flow cat and a tune and see how it runs!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
looks like it might be a while til I get around to this. gotta buy wrap, getting titanium with the black silicone spray, and even thought its "pre" coated i am gonna paint it with hi temp coating to keep it from rusting, etc. I saw a post from years ago where a guy was selling his f2 that had been wrapped and the coating was GONE on the main contact points of the wrap. not trusting the factory coating.

just started school, working full time, and trying to still get family time in. sounds like a good vacation project.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
F2 header bolts up nice with the FSWerks stealth exhaust this is what I have sounds very good not rice at all

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
"no rice at all"!

F2 header bolts up nice with the FSWerks stealth exhaust this is what I have sounds very good not rice at all
That's what I like to hear "no rice at all"!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got a great deal on a header coating hi temp paint, titanium wrap, the steel ties, and the silicone spray to seal it all up. it should be here next week. I should be able to get the header wrapped and ready to install next weekend, and if I am lucky installed the following weekend. I cant wait![wiggle]

·
Registered
367 Posts
My brother had the f2 header with the FS race exhaust. It was really loud when you shift high. When he first got the header with the stock ST exhaust i really loved the way it sounded... flowed well! i really wish i could have gotten a video of it..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts