Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the F2 header is installed!

And before I say another word I have to thank MustangsandFocus' (Josh). Josh is new to the my area and a new FF member. Ladies and Gentleman I for one consider myself very lucky to have noticed that Josh lived close to me. I sent him a PM to say welcome and he responded with a little bit about himself and his automobile background. I can't even begin to scratch the surface of this mans knowledge and experience here.

Josh is serving our country in the U.S. Army and recently returned from deployment in Iraq. He's looking for a little work on the side to supplement his income. I'm sure so he can spoil his young bride Paige, whom Cindy and I also had the pleasure of meeting. You've got yourself an adorable firecracker there Josh.

I, without hesitation, recommend that if you are lucky enough to live within a reasonable commute, and need help with you car, get ahold of Josh. You will not be sorry.

So to begin with the header, it and the new flex pipe arrived well wrapped and protected. The box itself could have contained more "peanuts' to prevent those parts moving around during transport.

After unwrapping everything you wind up with the header, new flex pipe, two new gaskets with four new bolts for the flex to header connection / flex to exhaust connections and an instruction sheet. The instruction sheet gives some basic instructions but relies heavily upon you having access to a genuine Ford Focus Shop manual for specific instructions.

To begin the install you have to un-install the current exhaust manifold, which Ford refers to as simply the Catalytic converter. Yep, you are removing the cat with this install. I have a Magnaflow HF cat on my 2 1/2" Trubendz exhaust, so I'm not running naked.

I'm not going to try and do a full blown "how to" here. Just some highlights for you. If you purchase this kit and need access to the specific Ford Workshop Manual instructions for removing the stock system, PM me.

Josh was coming over to help me around 10am so I started about 9am to get some of the easy stuff out of the way. Before Josh arrived I had all the heatshield bolts off of the lower and upper shield, the exhaust unbolted from the flex pipe, the engine bracket for the cat removed and... that's about it I guess.

Josh arrived and after the introductions where out of the way, got right down to business. I believe after which point my total contribution was holding a hose out of his way at some point. [:D] J/K, I helped - I did, I did so!

The old one came out without any major issues, just a lot of weird moves to get wrenches to where they needed to be.

We were able to reuse the stock manifold gasket and studs. The biggest issue was the lower O2 sensor. It was frozen in place and just did not want to move. After applying a little heat, working it back and forth, some WD-40 and a lot of patience it finally came out. However, the reason it didn't want to come out in the first place was a portion of the thread was melted. Josh did some magic with a small file and we were able to get a good seat in the header with that sensor.

We (Josh) had the header installed and everything re-connected in about 45 minutes, if that and the next thing I knew it was time to turn the key.

OK, Josh described it best. He said I had a tach smile. The higher the RPMs, the bigger my smile.

Here are the pictures I know you've been waiting for;

The stock system;

The F2 Header installed;

And from below;

And Josh himself;

This header, with my 2 1/2 Trubendz exhaust is on the load side. I'm still working on the exhaust to see where I get with the sound level but a resonator maybe in my near future.

Josh, thank you again for your help. I'm sure I'd still be trying to get the old one out at this point.

SOUND CLIPS ADDED, POST # 34

Reactions: MikeF2D

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
ooo very nice, and its always cool to meet new focus ppl, welcome josh!!!

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
nice job...looks like you had a MUCH easier time than i did with it...its nice to have a helper isn't it!

as for the sound, it was real loud when i first got it but either mine has quieted down (unlikely) or i've just gotten used to it (yeah probs)

i say live with it for a few weeks before you change anything

nice write up/pics brad!

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
Did you need a tune after you put it in?

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm not changing much right now. What Josh did point out to me though was something about the tip on the Trubendz. I've always liked the sound from this exhaust, but with the header, at high RPMs it started to sound tinny - damn close to ricey I must say. Josh simply flicked the back end of the tip with his finger tip, producing a high pitched twang. That same tone is being transfered to the exhaust tone - well hell he explained it better. So, experimenting on my own, I've partially filled the cavity between the tip and exhaust pipe with hi-temp silicone to deaden that tone. Which I'm hoping reduces/eliminates the close to rice tone. I do know that running without the tip works, I did that today while the tip section was off. Damn loud but nothing but a deep strong tone.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you need a tune after you put it in?
Nope, a tune is not required. Damn good thing too as you can't get one yet for the 08' Focus.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
ah, i thought you did cause i thought the header deleted the third O2 sensor or something like that

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
very nice. And many thanks to josh for serving our country! I never thought about the tip causing a ricey tone. What stuff did you use to fill in the gap? I might try that before I get a header.

·
Registered
100 Posts
its nice to know that the header fits on the new focus. the 09 coupe may be in my future.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I got a 30" resonator if i remember correctly. It helps a lot. It's only loud when i gun it, w/o the resonator it was ROARING loud

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
welcome josh, thanks for ur service, and thanks for helping my buddy install his header!

now, i am curious tho....why didnt you wrap it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
if you want to lower the noise with a race headr and a trubendz exhaust
GET a 6" magnaflow resonater, I beleive i got mine at CFM, my car sounds almost stock with it.
Chris

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great, guys thanks for the resonator info!! It's not wrapped because I'm lazy J/k. The header is coated, with what I don't know, I'm assuming to help with heat -but don't quote me. Also there is a ton of clearance around the header and my new BFF (Josh) told me heat shouldn't be an issue.

I'll have to take some more temp. readings under there to confirm that. Man, the work just never ends. [:)]

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
the f2 isnt coated with jet-hot, so it wont solve the heat issue. i know that on our version, the header throws a LOT of heat. jetrinka ended up wrapping his b/c of that issue. i think he has a steeda too, like you. u may wanna look into it. i want that puppy of yours to purr and then ROAR!

edit; and u know u love the work. i am really happy with the way ur car is coming together, with all ur mods. i like when people take the time/spend the money to do things right. just makes it that much better.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks man, I appreciate that. I'll be doing some more temperature measurements under the hood soon to see where I'm at. If I have to wrap 'em I will, but they're just so darn pretty to look at.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
oh, definitely. you weigh the bling against the performance. although, a black-wrapped header can look pretty mean too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello Everyone. I am the Josh that Brad he speaks so well of. thanks for all of the comments about my service of the country. it is greatly appreciated. if i didnt do it who would.
In addition to the write up about the header, i would like to add that on the factory manifold/cat, the nuts on it are all accessible from the top. whereas when you put the F2 header in all 3 of the nuts have to be put in from the bottom with a wrench. i would recommend that you invest the money in a set of gear-wrenches (which i think is the only tool that brad doesn't have).
Prior to putting the header in the car your gonna want to put the flex-pipe assembly on the header. I personally like to coat the flange gaskets with anti-seize. it helps make a great seal but it also doubles as a leak detector. I also would like to note that once you get the header on the studs that you get under the car and you hook up flex-pipe to the back half of the exhaust. It makes aligning the header much easier and makes it hell of alot easier to put the nuts back on with your fingers which cuts down on alot of wrench time.
if you have any tech questions on the install feel free to ask. i am subscribed to this thread and i also reply to any and all PM's.

·
Registered
465 Posts
great thread!! i got the same set-up! i love it even w/o the res. it a little loud but i like it! and all i have to say is...where were u like 4 months ago!!!lol

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
my header isn't too hot when moving, although i have functional hood scoops...but after i shut the car off and pop the hood it is quite hot back there...

i'm not gonna wrap mine due to the bling factor [:D]

1 - 20 of 153 Posts