Focus Fanatics Forum banner

F2 & Ebay STS Comparison

4K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  NemesisEnforcer 
#1 · (Edited)
Well since installing my F2USA STS (short-trow shifter) I heard a lot about the same one being available on Ebay for 1/2 the price of F2s. So my curiosity got the best of me and I order one from Ebay.

Here's what I found when I compared the two.

The Ebay STS arrived nicely packaged in a cardboard 1st class mail envelope, inside of another 1st class mail envelope. Once you get through both envelopes you'll find this;

after opening the packaging you have;

My first step was to remove the reverse lockout gear which is not required on my car. Removing these pieces was easy enough and after doing so I did find a broken O-ring.

The broken O-ring did not present an issue for me as that was under the reverse lock-out gear I wasn't using anyway.

So my next step was to remove my F2 stick from my car and compare that to the Ebay stick;

Well they sure look that same to me! (Ebay left, F2 right)

Ah, but then I noticed something. The angles on the Ebay stick are very different then those on the F2 stick. Check the pictures below;

That's the Ebay stick on the left, F2 on right and my new header in the background. But that's another story.

And from another angle;

Also note the plastic piece in those pics. The one on the Ebay stick is to small. It went right through it's intended mounting location and fell out the other side. Not a huge issue, just use the stock piece instead.

So I really hadn't intended on installing the Ebay shifter but I wanted to see what difference those angles made. The first thing, after installing it, that I noticed was the shift cable was a lot closer to the console than with the F2 stick. But it did not actually hit the console, just pretty close.

Now for the biggest issue I found. The Ebay shifter would not return to neutral above 3rd and 4th when it was released. If you pushed through the gate toward 1st or 2nd and let go the stick just sat there. The gate didn't push it back to the correct location. Same for moving toward 5th and R.

So I double checked my install - everything was fine there. I removed the Ebay stick and confirmed my first suspicion. The main pivot point on the Ebay shifter was to big, not by a lot, but enough to add more resistance and prevent it from functioning correctly.

So, to me anyway, it is obvious that the F2 stick and the Ebay stick are in fact NOT the same. The angles on the two sticks along are enough to prove that point. Add with the pivot point issue it just confirms the old saying, "you get what you pay for".

EDIT: As of 9/29/08 this STS is out of stock and F2 will not be producing any more in the near future. Central Florida Motor Sports (www.c-f-m.com) does sell a STS for the same prices as Steeda and for those that prefer a shorter stick, CFMs is 1 1/2 inches shorter than Steeda's.

See less See more
Reactions: Stooge
#3 ·
very nice write up, definitely good for any1 lookin for the cheap way out =p
rep =D

#6 ·
Yeah, yeah - had a very busy weekend. Normally I can just sneak off to the garage and play but I couldn't get away with that this time.

#8 ·
look at that, lovin from our landlord lol.

brad, i ordered the OLD style (the FR one) of steeda. i havent paid for it yet, so it will be a week out, but I wanted that to compare it to the new version that the other guys got. so we can see the difference. i have noticed that angle change on other sts's that i have looked at, i wonder if that has anything to do with the issue of it not bouncing into neutral.

#10 ·
Thank you one and all for the nice remarks - they are appreciated!!

i have noticed that angle change on other sts's that i have looked at, i wonder if that has anything to do with the issue of it not bouncing into neutral.
I wondered that too. Those angles do change the final position the shift cable is going to wind up in, and I don't know what else. But I believe in this case the main pivot ball on the Ebay STS was the culprit. I'll know for sure tomorrow (if I have time). I did a little work on the pivot tonight to reduce it's size a little. Just haven't had time to install it and see if I did any good or not.

Brad

#11 ·
yeah, i was thinking you could dremel it to get it smaller, but then you would lose the roundness. i am assuming you used some sandpaper?

#12 ·
Close, I did a tiny bit of re-shaping with my bench grinder, smoothed that out with my spindle sander and cleaned up the remaining scratches with a buffing wheel. It isn't perfect by any means but just may work. I'll install it after work to see if I did any good or not.

#13 ·
yeah, let me know if im right or wrong, as i am thinking the ebay ones tried to get the pivot right, but may be a fluke in sizing. a micrometer wont make too much difference, which is why i am thinking the angle part is the real culprit.

#15 ·
yeah, let me know if im right or wrong, as i am thinking the ebay ones tried to get the pivot right, but may be a fluke in sizing. a micrometer wont make too much difference, which is why i am thinking the angle part is the real culprit.
When I measured the pivot point I came up with 15/100th of inch size difference between the Ebay and F2. Doesn't sound like much but I'm thinking it's enough to add just enough resistance to act like it was.

#19 ·
There's really no choice to make. Last I heard F2 was out of stock and working with a new machine shop to figure out if they are going to make more or not. Hope they do, at least you'll have a choice then.

#18 ·
the f2 is shorter than the steeda, so u have to reach further to get it. depends on what you want. the f2 has grown on me, but its too short for me. thats why im getting the old-style steeda. the f2 is cheaper, but if ur interested in the steeda, pm me about a deal on it that will make it as cheap as the f2.

#21 ·
I haven't heard for sure one way or the other, but Ricardo did say he was meeting with a new machine shop (other one closed) so that's encouraging.

#22 ·
The main pivot point was the problem with the EBay shifter. I ground and polished it a little and installed it tonight. Bingo, no more problem with it not wanting to return to the correct neutral position.

Obviously something you shouldn't have to do though to get a product to function as intended.

Final Impressions:

F2USA STS
Pros: works great as received, has better angles for proper cable placement, significantly reduces the shift pattern
Cons: maybe a little short for some (I like it)

EBay STS
Pros: can work if main pivot ball size is correct
Cons: had to grind and polish main pivot ball for correct functionality, angled just enough for main shift cable to barely miss console, arrived with broken O-ring

Overall - If you want to try and save some money, and you have the tools to correct possible issues, the EBay shifter will work. If you want something that works as intendeded without re-tooling, the F2 STS would be your choice.

Currently F2 is out-of-stock, you do have a couple of other choices I know of;

Steeda has re-released their STS at $119.95 + shipping
Central Flordia MotorSports STS is also $119.95 + shipping with a shorter stick

#23 ·
thanks brad. interesting that they got that much wrong.

remember, if u want the steeda, i can get you guys a deal on it. PM me for details.

brad, when my new steeda sts arrives (old style) u mind if i use your info/threads to do a comparison write-up to the f2 and the new styled steeda?

#25 ·
okay, cool thanks. like i said, im interested in the diffs of the old vs new. i may also try to find info on the cfm version, if any writeups on that one, and get them all combined into one info thread....2 steedas, the cfm, the DIY, the f2, and the ebay.

#26 ·
oh, guys, also, for the cfm, my newsletter says they are having 50 percent off shipping until oct. 5th, if interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.