Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got an EZ Pass for the new Focus yesterday. Slapped it to the right of the rear view mirror so its hidden from my site but not behind the black areas along the boards of the windshield. Took the NJ Turnpike today and it didn't register getting on or off. Called EZ Pass and they said just monitor the statements to make sure it doesn't overcharge since my plates are still tied to the account.

Has anyone else had this problem with theirs? I have the 401A package and I am hoping that the auto sensing wipers aren't the cause of the problem. [V]

·
Registered
190 Posts
There is nothing on your car that should effect your EZ pass. I would think that there was a problem with how your account was set up, or you got a faulty transponder.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hoping its the latter of the options there. I will try another transponder tomorrow and see how that goes.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sounds like a transponder issue to me as well. I used to keep mine in my glovebox and it worked just fine.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
OP, idk how it works there but in Florida our SunPass is either a transponder or a small stick on unit that doesnt beep at all... if you have a sticker type, having slapped it onto your mirror and not your windshield might make a difference. idk if the orientation of the sticker matters but you never know, this is IF its a sticker

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I got one (EZ pass) about six weeks ago, two weeks after getting the car. I had never had one before and figured I'd give it a try. Needless to say it is still sitting on a table in my house while I am trying to decide what to do. No way I am putting that behemoth in my windshield. Hard to believe that is the best single-use device they could come up with. Completely obtrusive, especially with the slope of the Focus windshield and how far down it has to go to clear the black trim. Still undecided as far as what to do with this thing!

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Sounds like toll programs back east need to catch up with TX. Our toll tags are about 1.5" square with an RFID that sits perfectly behind the rearview mirror. I have(TxTag) one on My Town Car(w/ rain sensing wipers) and My Focus and have never had issues. That said, My guess is a transponder failure, as well.

Oh, and for the record, screw toll roads.

·
Registered
967 Posts
You could always roll down the window and stick your hand out a bit with the transponder to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Sounds like toll programs back east need to catch up with TX. Our toll tags are about 1.5" square with an RFID that sits perfectly behind the rearview mirror. I have(TxTag) one on My Town Car(w/ rain sensing wipers) and My Focus and have never had issues. That said, My guess is a transponder failure, as well.

Yeah, no doubt. I'm sure NY has just been recycling this 19XX (whatever year it started) technology, not wanting to invest any money into anything newer and better. I might try and build some clip apparatus that will attach to the visor and stick it down far enough on the windshield or rig up some suction cup cradle, anything I can use temporarily when I know I'll be on a toll road. Then again, I may just return it and tell them I'll reconsider when they finally catch up to this century.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a ten year old EZ Pass unit that I transferred to my new Focus and not encountered any issues. I mounted mine centered behind the rear view mirror but below the black embossed area. The pass is not visible when driving and again no functional issues.

Full disclosure, my Focus is a pretty basic SE.

·
Registered
362 Posts
We used our EZ Pass in MD two weekends ago at the same spot as you with no issues.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I live in WI where they don't charge on the highway, but I visit home once in a blue moon. Over the past year and 1/2 since I've gotten my IPASS, I've paid over $260... imagine how much it would be if I actually lived in IL! More importantly, if you don't have an IPASS, you have to pay double!

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
You're gonna get a bunch of bills in the mail.

I had an issue last month in nj with my ez pass in ocean city. They told me it was my debit card

1 - 20 of 24 Posts