Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been having dead battery issues. I replaced the battery about a year ago, but if my car sits for more than 4 days the battery goes dead. Nothing is left on or plugged in, I don't have any aftermarket audio/video equipment. It is an '08 S model, has the duratech 2.0, no power windows, locks or even cruise control. I was looking at the fuse box and noticed that almost all the fuse slots have a fuse in them. I know that a lot of them are not used according to the book. So i was wondering if any of the "not used" slots have power and could be draining my battery since there is a fuse in it. If not then does anyone have any suggestions on what it might be? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the 08 but, yes. Some of the not used fuses will/might have power on them while Key is in your pocket. An unused fuse by itself is not the problem.

First guess is cigarette lighter socket; anything installed, like a phone charger?

Another suspect is the Battery Saver circuit.

Also, something called a "parasitic power draw" and there are ways to test for it, but I am too tired atm to explain, but do a search for "automotive parasitic power draw test" or similar wording.

Here, did a quick search for ya, here is one hit->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Heck, the earlier models do not have any metal contacts to add fuses to, I added several takeoff points when I completely rewired the underhood box after an accident destroyed the original. The empty slots cannot have a fuse installed, it simply flops around loose in plastic.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Heck, the earlier models do not have any metal contacts to add fuses to
Those cheap money saving ba$tards... but... OK, why have 10 million unused metal clips driving around doing nothing.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Money. Someone suggested it on assembly line to save the company money and a big bonus there. Why you don't get but 4 bolts total holding bumpers on when the stands are machined for 4 on each side too. You can sometimes find screws missing in places. The cost cutting can be seen easily by just opening ones' eyes. Why wiring harnesses break so much more often too, they shorten them too much trying to save wire and why often circuits do not have big enough wire to avoid melting as well. Make the main battery cables slightly bigger on these and all melting of them disappears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts