Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need assistance from someone who either has a Focus and has fixed the problem I currently have... OR you have fixed on someone else's Focus and know alittle bit about what's going on.

I have a 2006 Focus ZX3... recently hard a "crack" while attempting to open my drivers side door, followed by what sounded like something metal bouncing off other components inside the door as it made it's way to the bottom of the door. This happened when I pulled the door handle to open it. Does anyone have knowledge of where I need to start? And what "component" do I need to be focusing on here, as in cable, or screw or pin etc etc. The actual plastic part of the handle that you grab when you pull to open the door is NOT cracked or broken. The problem is going to be directly behind the handle on the interior portion of the door. I already have all the screws loose on the inside door panel... all I can see is the foam that completly covers the interior of the door. It does not seem to want to move or come out after the intitial test to see how hard it will be to remove. What is the best way to approach this fix? Thank you in advance.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
There is a white plastic clip within the interior handle mechanism that holds a metal pushrod of sorts. It's prone to cracking/breaking. Once it's broken the pushrod is disengaged from the outer handle. I don't believe the clip is sold separately; you need to buy the plastic interior handle bit, sometimes known as the door handle "reinforcement", IIRC. It's usually the clip that breaks or the door handle spring that fails so that the door handle doesn't return to the "home" position.

You need to remove the door panel, the door bolster, the exterior handle and the interior locking mechanism to remove and replace the affected part. To remove the door bolster (the foam), slide the bolster forward (or back- can't remember) to disengage the pins.

Replacement isn't particularly hard, just tedious and fiddly working in the confined door space with little light.

I'll post a pic of the part you need later and a part number.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks for the pics that should be very helpful... where I'm stuck is in the removal of the interior door panel. I have removed the small screws along the sides and found the one at the inside door handle lever... but now for some reason it's still hanging up somewhere... am I missing a screw somewhere that needs to be removed? I have it loose on top all the over to about 8 inches from the mirror controller and it is already removed but I dont know where I'm hanging up at? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Just did some work on the door interior, albeit a rear door but - there are three screws in the door pull.

You have to pop off the long rectangular plastic insert that hides these screws. And you'll new a deep 1/4 inch socket, yes 1/4 inch, to get to the two, the third is just a phillips head (why did they use a standard size head - left over stock or ordered the wrong part number and used them anyway?).

There is a reference to interior door work that I came across in a search. It had professional pics for both front and rear doors with instructions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info 2000 SE... I'll work on that area and see where it takes me. I'm not very experienced at this sort of thing so my hope is I don't dig into something and get in over my head. I wonder how much this fix would cost if taken to a dealership? Or can most mechanics handle this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BC_ZX3 ... you mentioned that I need an INTERIOR door assembly... I believe the piece that broke was just inside the EXTERIOR handle... do I still the INTERIOR assembly? If so, it's okay I dont mean to imply that is incorrect.. just want to make sure I buy the right part the first time.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
BC_ZX3 ... you mentioned that I need an INTERIOR door assembly... I believe the piece that broke was just inside the EXTERIOR handle... do I still the INTERIOR assembly? If so, it's okay I dont mean to imply that is incorrect.. just want to make sure I buy the right part the first time.
From your description of the problem, you will require the part listed. The black plastic exterior door handle is fairly robust. It's usually the inner workings - pushrod, clip, spring - that fail.

The best method to determine what's required - although it's obviously not the most convenient - is to dismantle and inspect first, buy parts later.

I bought the exterior handle initially, as you're proposing, only to find there was nothing wrong with it. It's just a big chunk of plastic. The interior mechanism/reinforcement/assembly was required.

For door panel removal, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csldDPNGEPI This doesn't go into the mechanism replacement, just removing parts to get to it.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Just to follow up on this: I found some old pics.

Broken door lock and mechanism out of door:

Close up of broken clip and mount (pushrod removed). The metal "C" shaped piece is supposed to be attached just above and to the right of the spring (near the green area). It failed due to metal fatigue.

Repaired piece with pushrod in correct position

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you BC for the updates... I had to work today and will tomorrow also... won't be able to get back to where I left off til at least Monday morning. At this point I'm just "getting by" til I can proceed to the next step and so far it's been nothing more than just a mere inconvenience. (keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get any worse) Do you have any recommendations on a good source to by this replacement part? or will any Ford dealership be able to order it for me? Thanks again for all your help.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Do you have any recommendations on a good source to by this replacement part? or will any Ford dealership be able to order it for me? Thanks again for all your help.
A Ford dealer is probably your best bet. Quote the part number above. I believe a Ford dealership associated with FF (Tousley?) offers 10% over cost on parts to FF members. Not sure of the details though, as being in Canada, it's irrelevant to me.

It's quite a intricate plastic casting. I tried an after market piece when I originally thought the problem was something to do with the outer handle and the fit of that comparatively simple moulding was very poor. I didn't even try sourcing an after market inner piece base on that experience. The correct part was over a $100 from the dealer, IIRC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow... over $100? That's gonna be difficult to justify for such a small little piece. This could be interesting.

Did you fix yours yourself? I am quickly getting to a point where if I can find the right qualified person (other than a dealership) I may just have them do it. Would a body shop be a good place to start? I am in pretty good standing with my local guy... should I run it past him? He'll probably even have a good source to buy what I need. What do you think?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Yes, I replaced it myself. It's a fairly simple DIY-type job, nothing complicated. It took just under a couple of hours from start to finish. The number of tools required is minimal - a flat head screwdriver, a couple of small sockets, two or three torx bits, iIRC. The most difficult part was figuring out that the door lock mechanism had to be rotated 90 degrees to extricate it from the door through the smallish access hole provided.

If you don't want to do it yourself, a body shop would probably be a good place to start, especially if you already know some one. They probably deal with these type of repairs from accident damage all the time. He'll obviously charge you for his time though but you may get a price break on the part. My time was free so my only out of pocket cost was the part. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have a 2006 Focus ZX3... recently hard a "crack" while attempting to open my drivers side door, followed by what sounded like something metal bouncing off other components inside the door as it made it's way to the bottom of the door.
Hey nazcardan,

Did you bring your Focus in for repair? Let me know if you need any assistance. [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar problem...

I bought 07 Focus in February. Two months ago, went to pull on the driver's door handle and sure enough, heard a click and it broke free. After a week or so of having to either leave the window down, or pray that I kept the doors unlocked so I could get in the passenger side door, we found the replacement piece- sure enough it was the reinforcement plate. Unfortunately, my husband broke the plastic clip that the rod goes into- so he did some rigging with some rubber tubing. That worked fine until last week- my door won't open from the outside when it gets over 90 degrees. I think it may be the rubber piece that he put on sticking- but we can't find a replacement plastic clip anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated- I have 2 young kids and I'm super paranoid that the doors will lock with them inside and I won't be able to get in that car (can't go in the trunk with two children seats there).[?|]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry to send this on a old problem. Did you end having to buy the door handle reinforcement? I have had to fix my drivers side twice over the years and can't remember where I purchased it. I think it was Partsgeek; but they are out of stock. I was wanting to see where you got yours. Don't want to pay dealer price; since it was around $30. On parts geek.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What's needed is the REINFORCEMENT part for the exterior handle. It goes inside the door cavity. This should not be confused with the INTERIOR HANDLE (the one you open the door with while inside the cabin.) The interior handle is a completely separate mechanism. What's needed here is the REINFORCEMENT part for the exterior handle.

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
The upper handle breaks because the lower latch in back of door has tightened up from lack of lube..............the extra load then breaks the handle.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts