Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently installed it. The welds seems nice and solid and it appears to be of good quality so far. I was going to go with FSWerks, but I could not resist checking it out for 140 bucks. I have noticed that the O2 sensor wire rubs a bit on the heat shielding though. Anybody had it on their car for a while? Has it held up well?

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
It should hold up for a long time, probably longer then you'll own the car.. the shielding bends easy, just bend it out of the way

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had essentially the same thought on it , but there seems to be some people questioning the quality of it. The O2 sticks up against a part that is already against the underside of the car. I may go in with some snips and trim it off if bending doesn't do it. Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I believe that header is the same header I have (different name, same Chinese manufacturer). Mine, at least, had 2 bung holes for o2 sensors and since I only needed 1 sensor for engine management, and not the one checking my now nonexistent cat was doing, I just placed the o2 sensor in the second hole.

That got rid of thebrubbing for me.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
They possibly could have quality welds & use American steel......You'd think they'd bolt one on up on a car for fitment issues......

·
Registered
133 Posts
*didn't actually address op question in my last post

IF our headers are the same, then mine has held up for 4+ months now. I live in Florida so I won't know if salt bothers it but it gets lots of water thrown up on it.

My recommendation, as with swapping out any part, keep the oem manifold just in case you need to swap back but I love the header so far

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^It should, my stock exhaust hooked up to my fs werks which has a 2.5" collector...but stock exhaust is a waste with a header, need a nice 2.5" mandrel system

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been interested in this as well. I am hesitant mostly for the noise level. I have only a glasspack, and the volume seems to be just right.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
I've been interested in this as well. I am hesitant mostly for the noise level. I have only a glasspack, and the volume seems to be just right.
You'll need more then a glasspack to run a header....Heck yrs ago the guys that ran glasspacks didn't run headers, guys w/ headers ran turbo mufflers, basically the redo of the Corvair turbo mufflers. Hot exhaust gases rushing out of steel tubing is going to make a different tone then a cast iron manifold........

·
Registered
43 Posts
You'll need more then a glasspack to run a header....Heck yrs ago the guys that ran glasspacks didn't run headers, guys w/ headers ran turbo mufflers, basically the redo of the Corvair turbo mufflers. Hot exhaust gases rushing out of steel tubing is going to make a different tone then a cast iron manifold........
Oh definitely. I love the sound and volume it's at now, so I don't really want to change up the exhaust. From the few videos I have heard of the cat-less headers, they don't usually sound very good. Mine is pretty deep and throaty for a 2.0, so I don't want it to sound tinny or pitch-y just for small gains.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So a bit of an update. A month in and the header seems solid, but I am not sure about the gaskets that came with it. I am getting a ton of exhaust smell in the cabin. I have some extra OEM gaskets that I am going to install later and I will see if that makes a difference. Also, when it comes to sound: the header plus stealth sounds good. I wasn't sure at first because... well it is a bit rice. It grows on you though. The grunt when it shifts sounds sooooo nice.

This could be due to loosing the cat, but it seems a bit much!

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
My cnt racing system burbles a lot and after each gear change does a little burb sound...lol

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
So a bit of an update. A month in and the header seems solid, but I am not sure about the gaskets that came with it. I am getting a ton of exhaust smell in the cabin. I have some extra OEM gaskets that I am going to install later and I will see if that makes a difference. Also, when it comes to sound: the header plus stealth sounds good. I wasn't sure at first because... well it is a bit rice. It grows on you though. The grunt when it shifts sounds sooooo nice.

This could be due to loosing the cat, but it seems a bit much!
If you had an exhaust leak at the manifold flange you would hear a loud hissing noise and see black soot at the location, also notice a loss of power (been there before)... is your exhaust welded or clamped, if clamped you likely have a small leak...there is a muffler paste you use that hardens from heat to prevent those leaks, or get the sections welded...however, catless headers result in a smellier, gassy exhaust that you can smell when idling with windows open.. if you smell it with windows closed, thats not good, get that checked out... unburnt exhaust gasses are more dangerous as much higher C02 concentrations

1 - 18 of 18 Posts