Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the Focus in October of 2011. Because of the untried status of the DCT I broke my own rules and purchased the extended warranty for the engine and drive train only. Now that Ford has extended the transmission warranty for all owners I wonder if they'll send me a rebate for part of the premium? Probably not.

66k miles, almost all of it highway, and at the last oil change there was oil dripping from the tranny, so I'm waiting on the dealer for an appointment to have it checked. This car has other issues too. The rear shocks are shot and now I have to replace them and the chopped tires. Also, the rear brakes wear out twice as fast as the front but nobody seems to be able to figure out why.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Bought the Focus in October of 2011. Because of the untried status of the DCT I broke my own rules and purchased the extended warranty for the engine and drive train only. Now that Ford has extended the transmission warranty for all owners I wonder if they'll send me a rebate for part of the premium? Probably not.

66k miles, almost all of it highway, and at the last oil change there was oil dripping from the tranny, so I'm waiting on the dealer for an appointment to have it checked. This car has other issues too. The rear shocks are shot and now I have to replace them and the chopped tires. Also, the rear brakes wear out twice as fast as the front but nobody seems to be able to figure out why.
Let me know when you head to your dealer about this. That's a great question about the ESP, but I do not have an answer for it. You can call our ESP Sales here: 877-794-6434 (9:00 am - 10:00 pm EST, Monday-Friday.) They may be able to look into this. Otherwise, your dealer will be a great resource to ask about this.

Meagan

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I bet your rear shocks are fine.

My rear bearings were bad - not loose enough for the wheel to shake a noticeable amount, but they felt gritty and made clicking noises. The dealership wouldn't replace them under warranty so I did it myself just in case it was what was causing my strange tire wear and irregular brake pad wear.

I'd recommend you get an alignment shop to get your toe as close to 0 as possible, that might have solved my tire wear issues since it's the toe-in in the rear that's forcing the tire to scrape instead of roll in the first place. I wouldn't recommend a Firestone or Just Tires type place unless you know the guys since the spec is a huge range and they might say the -0.20in (toe in) for 1 wheel in the rear is fine (-0.29 inches total rear toe), because it's really not if - especially if you have a lot of negative camber and a loose bearing. That's my 2 cents on that topic.

EDIT: Good luck on getting any money back for your extended warranty, but the warranty extension isn't on the transmission. It's simply the clutches and the seals.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Off the tranny subject, since the first Focus models too much toe in the rear has resulted in excessive wear. You need a little for normal street driving, but .10 is enough.

On the brakes, many noticed more "grooving" at the rear than the front when new & some of those were sold new pads rotors at an early mileage. Others let them wear & see how they lasted, with decent mileage equal to the fronts being the result (old threads in the "Brakes, Suspension & Chassis" section. With rear pads starting out thinner than fronts, it's easy to sell new pads at that end - even when they're actually half worn or less.

After seeing that, I'd be interested in hearing your experience with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts