Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am starting to paint my hatch trim piece and have some questions. I know how to do the prep and painting but have never been able to get a good shine or luster from the clear coat. I would love for the trim to have the same reflective look as the rest of my car or as close as possible. Any advice on how to do this or what product such as clear coat to use is very welcome.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Are you wet sanding and buffing?

There is some great painting prep info in the how to section.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have all the stuff I need to wet sanding but what do I need to do a good buffer job? I realize these are probably pretty dumb questions but I have to learn somewhere and what better place then here.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I'd suggest grabbing a buffing wheel and some compound and practicing on something that you don't plan on using on your car. Like just paint something plastic to work on your technique. Paint it as if you plan to use it on your car.

1. Scuff off all the shine on the part to get a uniform base to spray on. 600 grit is good for that.
2. Clean the part off completely with prepaint and tack cloth.
3. Prime. Two coats with dry time between.
4. Wet sand.
5. Clean the part off completely with prepaint and tack cloth.
6. Base color. Two-three coats with dry time between.
7. Wet sand.
8. Clean the part off completely with prepaint and tack cloth.
9. Clear coat. Three-overkill coats with dry time.
10. Wet sand.
11. Let paint cure for 48+ hours.
12. Buff to a beautiful shine.

Time consuming, but it is worth it. Do it right or do it twice.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I used Dupli-color acrylic lacquer when I did my front air dam. I noted that the shine was inconsistent, even after several coats (the outside heat may have had something to do with that). My solution was to wet sand with 600 grit using a sanding block. Note: I used a lot of soap in the water, and I did not let the sandpaper buildup. I also pretty much just floated it along as I could feel when I hit a 'rough patch' (the air dam is also mostly flat-ish). You should also prob use a sanding block, but maybe use 1000 grit or so and be mindful to not cut into the edges. The result for me was an even high gloss shine. Not a super high gloss shine you get from a buffing wheel, but hey! It's an air dam, code for 'rock catcher'. [:)~]

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice. That was what I was hoping for. Now let's see what I can do.

·
Stuff about Florida
2,595 Posts
I like duplicolor's clear coat.

Spray it on how you want it to look. Spray kinda heavy until you see it shining.

Do 3-5 coats then let cure for at least 24 hours before wet sanding with 2000 grit and using a polishing compound. Then you can finish with some wax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts