Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I was recently driving on the highway and a rock thought it would be a pleasent idea to battle my foglight as cruising speed, long story short my fog light lost.

So I am looking to replace it. I have a screaming yellow svt and I think it would look pretty good with some smoked fogs. I am definitely going to look into getting the protection film when I replace them. I have been debating on getting smoked fogs or stock replacements and just get the film with a smoked tint to it.

Looking for ideas and/or suggestions on the idea and a place to purchase.

·
because race car
1,948 Posts
quite a few places have them. looks like about $100 for a pair of smoked fog lamp lenses

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find smoked ones anywhere but ebay, guess I'm looking in the wrong places...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I get some stock ones, then do smoked Lamin-x on them

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats's what I was leaning towards. You know where I can get a good quality stock fogs for a decent price? CFM has one for 60 that seems a little high to me.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I got some expaned metal mesh from Home depot, cut it in a circle slightly larger then the fog light, and bent the edges down. Then I mounted it in front of the glass when I installed the new bulb so that the metal mesh stands in front of the glass (~1/4" spacing)

I had 2 fog lights get smashed from highway construction in 6 months, since I put the mesh in front I luckily have not had an issue in the past 5 years.

IMHO I much prefer the mesh to protection film as it provides a physical stand-off or separation distance from the glass. When a rock hits, it has some give before it can touch the glass and pings it off like a little trampoline.

Find a either a galvanized or SS or some material that won't rust though! The smaller the mesh screen the better for stopping things, but the more light you block.

I am sure you can find pre-made metal mesh gaurds for fog lights, but I got mine for less then $5 at home depot. [:)]

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a focus?[scratch]

Don't get me wrong thats an awesome idea, would prob look pretty BA on a truck but I wouldn't put it on my car.

I'm not an idiot I know that the films aren't bulletproof and a big enough rock with break glass regardless but are you saying the films don't work? Has anyone had a light break using the film?

·
because race car
1,948 Posts
I got some expaned metal mesh from Home depot, cut it in a circle slightly larger then the fog light, and bent the edges down. Then I mounted it in front of the glass when I installed the new bulb so that the metal mesh stands in front of the glass (~1/4" spacing)

I had 2 fog lights get smashed from highway construction in 6 months, since I put the mesh in front I luckily have not had an issue in the past 5 years.

IMHO I much prefer the mesh to protection film as it provides a physical stand-off or separation distance from the glass. When a rock hits, it has some give before it can touch the glass and pings it off like a little trampoline.

Find a either a galvanized or SS or some material that won't rust though! The smaller the mesh screen the better for stopping things, but the more light you block.

I am sure you can find pre-made metal mesh gaurds for fog lights, but I got mine for less then $5 at home depot. [:)]
I'm not convinced with mesh. My mom has it on her subaru and she has a fog light lens with a rock chip. it's just gonna happen, like chips in the windshield or paint. If you drive the car you are at risk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just order a OEM and smoked lamin-x. Thanks for the input guys.

I was talking to a couple people at a car show yesterday and some people had some problems with lamin-x when running HIDs. Some people said that it caused them to have cracks in their lenses but other people had no problems. I am running HIDs in the fogs, just wondering what you guys think.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
FWIW - I have seen the laminx melt under the heat of the fogs. Keep an eye on it. What I ended up doing is going to home depot and buying a sheet of lexan and made some protective lenses. I posted it up, so if you search my name and lexan fogs it should come up. It was pretty easy to do. I would NOT sugvest doing this with the laminx though because it will certainly melt the laminx without it getting the needed cool air.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea the lamin-x cost 20 bucks so I am gonna give it a shot and see what happens. If it melts, o well I will take them off.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
FWIW - I have seen the laminx melt under the heat of the fogs. Keep an eye on it. What I ended up doing is going to home depot and buying a sheet of lexan and made some protective lenses. I posted it up, so if you search my name and lexan fogs it should come up. It was pretty easy to do. I would NOT sugvest doing this with the laminx though because it will certainly melt the laminx without it getting the needed cool air.

Sent from my MB855 using FF Mobile
Interesting. Ive been using Xpel film on my fogs all spring and summer with 9005 65w bulbs and no problems with the film melting... at least so far. Maybe Xpel is better stuff, I bought the kit from a member on here and I never heard of Xpel until then.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
My yellow laminx and a 3k hids are fine no melting. I would get factory ford fogs(workmanship) and laminx.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All done. Got the replacement fog for $40 on ebay, looks to have OEM quality, and smoked lamin-x. Also got some tinted corner lenses.[burnout]
Got a little sun glare in the pic. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts