Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any warning of what I am gonna find that caused my intake manifold to explode? Battery was low tried to start it, took other car to work. tried starting it again next mornig, batt had not been charged but temp was warmer. When I tried it turned for a few seconds then intake manifold exploded. Car ran perfect last time we drove it. there were no codes that popped up either. Thanx for any help

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
You were trying to start it, there was fuel spraying but it didn't start right away so fuel built up and it back fired causing the intake manifold to come apart. It didn't break break it right? Probably just blew it off the intake couplers and that can happen more easily over time due to age and stuff. My couplers were filthy and squishy when I changed them. Also oil build up in the intake manifold from the PCV system doesn't help things, just adds more boom when it back fires due to the fine mist of oil in there.

To ensure this doesn't happen keep the starter going til you hear it fire up. The SVT seems to not start right on the first little twinge of the key like some cars, probably from the big cams and the VCT and stuff. Every SVT I been around does the same thing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Intake did blow into atleast 3 pieces. Above seam is 1 below is atlest 2. No boost, I too am hoping it was just vapor build up. Hopefully not another valve job. Thought maybe someone had this happen to them. Will update when I get time to start working on it

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have heard of this happening with a back fire. Usually it just blows the rubber couplers. Hopefully you have no internal engine damage.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Very common with the SVT , I had it happen to my SVT and dozens of customers , if you do a search I have been saying for years that when you go to start your SVT that you hold WOT till you hear the engine spinning then let off , if your intake is going to blow it does it with in the first revolution of trying to start it

When this happens it kills the intake manifold

Tom

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very common with the SVT , I had it happen to my SVT and dozens of customers , if you do a search I have been saying for years that when you go to start your SVT that you hold WOT till you hear the engine spinning then let off , if your intake is going to blow it does it with in the first revolution of trying to start it

When this happens it kills the intake manifold

Tom
Wait, so are you saying do this to test whether your manifold will blow up or just to do this every time you start the car? Because in the cold sometimes my car fails to start (I'm assuming it floods itself) so I let it sit for a while then hold WOT so I don't have anymore fuel going into the engine till I hear it fire then I let off. Should I hold WOT from the get-go every time I try to start it?

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
If you had been WOT the intake wouldnt of blown up, by holding open the throttle if it backfires the pressure has a place to go out through the air filter and wont damage the intake manifold

Tom

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you had been WOT the intake wouldnt of blown up, by holding open the throttle if it backfires the pressure has a place to go out through the air filter and wont damage the intake manifold

Tom
MY intake didn't blow up. I was just asking in case I should change how I start the car so that it doesn't happen to me. Should I do this every time I start the car or just in specific scenarios?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still have a car infront of mine in my garage. From what I am hearing this is somewhat common? Should not be expecting internal damage?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Wait, so are you saying do this to test whether your manifold will blow up or just to do this every time you start the car? Because in the cold sometimes my car fails to start (I'm assuming it floods itself) so I let it sit for a while then hold WOT so I don't have anymore fuel going into the engine till I hear it fire then I let off. Should I hold WOT from the get-go every time I try to start it?
It's not holding WOT 'till it fires every time, that wouldn't work to start it.

WOT when first turning the key until it's cranking (spinning over), then release to let it start.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's not holding WOT 'till it fires every time, that wouldn't work to start it.

WOT when first turning the key until it's cranking (spinning over), then release to let it start.
Yeah, I got it figured out the other day. Starting to make it a habit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had this happen, went to start car and boom blew the upper intake into 2 pieces right where the imrc connects . Even had to get the hose and use water because it left the intake on fire.. This happened right before my fuel pump died on me.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had a blow up but thankfully I use a welded intake. Scared me though, battery died and tired turning it over a few times because it would semi crank. Jumped it forgot about all the fuel loaded it and it was like a gun shot and the car stalled lol.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a blow up but thankfully I use a welded intake. Scared me though, battery died and tired turning it over a few times because it would semi crank. Jumped it forgot about all the fuel loaded it and it was like a gun shot and the car stalled lol.
Sodid you have any other damage? Or was it just the build up and boom? Then intake was it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts