Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those tricky bastards. I was doing some wiring under the dash at night for some foglights when I noticed a low green and red glow, upon closer inspection it's the GPS and kill switch. Now I remember something about the dealership saying " blah blah we can shutoff blah blah the car if blah I miss a payment" now can I just yank this stuff out? Or is it tamper proof and there gonna be calling me. Maybe cutting the antenna so it can't get a signal?

Attachments

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Wow, they sure did do a good job hiding it! How did the vent on that side even work with something right there? Best thing to do would be to pay the car off. It would suck to rip that thing out only to have the car not run again or they come looking for it. Then again once you pay the car off, do they even uninstall that thing? Either way I'd want it out of my car if I had one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Huh, never heard of that. Although my Focus is an older one for daily beating... er, driving so I just paid cash and the truck and wife's Fusion were financed through my credit union (not dealer). I bet that GPS would have a hard time sending information if it were placed in a lead-lined camera film protector or similar product.... [deviltail] Or work hard on paying the car loan off so you own it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well im working on paying it off ill own it soon enough it just bothers me knowing its there.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Crazy. Didn't know they really use that kind of stuff. I hope my car doesn't have one from the previous owner...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Seems to be installed upside down....

So, maybe you're in the clear? [hihi]

·
Registered
609 Posts
Without looking at it I can not be 100% sure. However from what I have read in the past is those units have a starter disable feature, much like many alarm systems have.

If the unit in your car is like that they probably cut into the starter wire that is in the steering column and are having it run through the unit so they can disable the starter. If you can get a better picture of the label(s) that are on the unit I could probably find out for sure how exactly it works.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your right that thing to the right is a relay and is wired to the starter cables and that little thing has no business needing a relay. the dealer said these are more often than not in most newer cars.

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
They will know you've messed with it as soon as you disable it by car disappearing off the GPS locator and may well demand full payment of the rest of the loan.

They use them all the time here in Texas on people they think in their judgement are going to be flaky about paying for the car fully. Some are tied to operating power rather than starters. There was a news story here about them shutting off people's cars say on the freeway at top speed and how the car note owner could be creating major safety issues for others to later get their butts sued into oblivion. People were coasting to a stop in 70 mph traffic and could not exit fast enough to get to a safe place. One guy was bragging about shutting cars down if he thought they were 30 minutes late on a payment, a real assh-le. He said he did it to people all the time and was laughing about it to the reporter.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Yep had one of these put on my SVT I noticed a constant drain on the battery being out in the boondocks they thought they were smart hiding it up in the A piller. FA66OTS!!!! bought the car in college station TX, I found it pulled that bitch out, they have never said anything to me but I haven't missed a payment either I just set it up on auto debit.

They never even told me about the one in mine... they just wanted to be some sneaky big brother cinnamon ring sniffers, just make sure you connect the proper wires back up when you cut that thing out.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Never heard of these things. That's crazy and scary to think about the fact they know everywhere you are at all times just so they can repo your car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yep had one of these put on my SVT I noticed a constant drain on the battery being out in the boondocks they thought they were smart hiding it up in the A piller. FA66OTS!!!! bought the car in college station TX, I found it pulled that bitch out, they have never said anything to me but I haven't missed a payment either I just set it up on auto debit.

They never even told me about the one in mine... they just wanted to be some sneaky big brother cinnamon ring sniffers, just make sure you connect the proper wires back up when you cut that thing out.
go you [8)] , and chances are they did tell you in the contract you signed for buying the car.

Never heard of these things. That's crazy and scary to think about the fact they know everywhere you are at all times just so they can repo thier car.
fixed

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
The law can be pretty hazy on this practice. Privacy issues are compromised IMO. Law enforcement agencies absolutely love these types of devices. You really need to review your purchase agreement to see if this was part of the sale or, finance agreement. If it is not consult an attorney ASAP.

Now, if this was part of a judicial order, do not alter or, disable it at all.

This being said, if I found one in my car that I never agreed to, it must of malfunctioned.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
I've heard of a few car lots around here that does that.

I ripped out a janky car alarm last summer, I've never installed one, but I thought the kill relay was pretty cheesy. No wonder car thieves aren't concerned with alarm systems.

Possibly the relay could be disabled internally (stealthily) without upsetting the GPS, but if they push the "kill switch" and the car keeps moving..... [:p]

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
Yep, they'll figure it out pretty quick.

Here in Texas no law against it but I think it flat sucks when they start doing it just to harass the customer, which is what the news story was about. They don't have to even mention it, the people complaining say they were never told the cars had them and why they were so upset. One stranded on the freeway had an infant child in the car at the time. She was bloody screaming about it. They can tap into any circuit in the car and here they were apparently using fuel pump to stop the car right where it was. I can see disabling starter but not fuel pump, somebody is eventually going to end up out of business over a whopping lawsuit. Many of the fly-by-night lot dealers here have the brains of an earthworm.............

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm so what your saying is.... Cut it out, change my name, take car to mexico, make living off racing Honda civics, go poor, look at dirty old picture of gps Disabler. Regret. Ride with car back home, get job pay off car, own car, don't get tabs ever, Stick it to the man. Life fulfilment.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
go you [8)] , and chances are they did tell you in the contract you signed for buying the car.

fixed
NOT FIXED It's spelled "Their" NOT, "Thier"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts