Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just purchased my Focus Ti a little over a week ago and as I expected, I've run into some issues with MFT (though, less than I expected). I've read lots of posts here about various issues and bringing it to a dealer, but I was trying to get a sense of how things have gone when you have had a specific issue you wanted to resolve.

For example, if your system crashes, it's probably not going to crash while you're at the dealer. Is it worth reporting this to the dealer or Ford? Will they do anything? Do they collect data from the software crashes?

If you've had an issue that reproduces, how have you gotten it resolved? Or is it still an issue? Did it require a dealer visit? Software update? Phone call? Have the dealers been knowledgeable enough to deal with this kind of issue?

So far, I've had no reproducible issues, but I've seen the following:

1. Nav system indicates a fault. When I click okay, everything is fine (happened twice).
2. Bluetooth music streaming stopped working. I tried a master reset. Didn't fix the problem or reset any settings, but made the temperature display stuck in celsius mode. A day later it had 'scheduled maintenance' and then everything was perfect again.

If I bring my car to a dealer with these symptoms I can't reproduce, will anything get done or is it just a futile exercise?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
if they cant replicate it they cant confirm theres any issue. get some proof, pictures, video, etc. and document when issues occur. that way they know youre not just blowing smoke out your @$$, because you have documentation to back it up. no one in their right mind is going to make up documentation for issues if they have them, so theres no reason you shouldnt be believed in that case.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For the bluetooth issue, I do a master resent and then turn the car off for at least 10 min (sometimes 3+ hours) and it has resolved itself all 3 times that I've had this issue (in 3 weeks since I've had the car)

·
Registered
51 Posts
For the bluetooth issue, I do a master resent and then turn the car off for at least 10 min (sometimes 3+ hours) and it has resolved itself all 3 times that I've had this issue (in 3 weeks since I've had the car)
When you did a master reset, did you lose anything you had saved? For example, address book, preset radio stations, etc.?

·
Registered
146 Posts
When you did a master reset, did you lose anything you had saved? For example, address book, preset radio stations, etc.?
I did not lose radio presets, I did lose my "Home" and "Favorites" locations in GPS. Once, it also turned to celcius temp on the climate area of the home screen but then turned back when I restarted the car 10 min later.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi all,

I just purchased my Focus Ti a little over a week ago and as I expected, I've run into some issues with MFT (though, less than I expected). I've read lots of posts here about various issues and bringing it to a dealer, but I was trying to get a sense of how things have gone when you have had a specific issue you wanted to resolve.

For example, if your system crashes, it's probably not going to crash while you're at the dealer. Is it worth reporting this to the dealer or Ford? Will they do anything? Do they collect data from the software crashes?

If you've had an issue that reproduces, how have you gotten it resolved? Or is it still an issue? Did it require a dealer visit? Software update? Phone call? Have the dealers been knowledgeable enough to deal with this kind of issue?

1. Nav system indicates a fault. When I click okay, everything is fine (happened twice).
2. Bluetooth music streaming stopped working. I tried a master reset. Didn't fix the problem or reset any settings, but made the temperature display stuck in celsius mode. A day later it had 'scheduled maintenance' and then everything was perfect again.

If I bring my car to a dealer with these symptoms I can't reproduce, will anything get done or is it just a futile exercise?
As someone who has experienced "many many" MFT issues, I would recommend reporting "ALL" issues to your dealer. In fact, I always send an email to the service manager at my dealership, c.c. the owner of the dealership and follow it up with a trip to the dealership to make an appointment. Even if they are unable to fix the problem, the documentation is there noting the dates/problem/steps taken to remedy said problems etc.
There is no sense is waiting for your warranty to expire and then say "ya but, wait a minute, I have been having these problems since day one and......"
My advice, be proactive not reactive. Until Ford actually comes up with a permanent fix for the MFT fiasco, I'll keep bringing the car back to the dealership. Maybe with all the warranty $$$'s that Ford is having to pay out to the dealers, they will escalate this to a top priority and get our cars working right...like they should have from the start!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've been creating small video's of the reoccurring issues and if there is something new I of course make a video of it if possible. The latest thing that happened to me might just be repeatable but I haven't had the time to test it out yet. As soon as I get a chance, I will document it and pass it on to Ford Customer Service.

Here's what happened: I was in my driveway getting ready to go to work when my wife comes running out side trying say something to me. Well I couldn't hear her with the windows up and the radio blaring so I started to hold down the button for the window and at the same time hold down the volume down button on the steering wheel. That combination caused the whole touch screen and every input to the system like volume control, sync button, etc... to freeze in their current positions. I didn't have time to mess around with it so I went to work with it frozen like that. Lucky for me the stereo was on a very low volume level so I would be still able to talk to the gate guard when arriving at work. When I finally arrived at my destination, I shut the car off and the radio stayed on even though I had removed the key and opened the door. At that point I got ready to pull fuses to force it off but before I did enough time had passed for it to go off by itself and when I turned the car back on, it was all back to normal.

Now that was the first time I've seen it freeze like that and also the first time I didn't have to pull fuses to fix it. I know I've heard others have the freeze happen when the radio was really loud and that can be a real problem when going through the drive through or addressing a gate guard like I had to.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have MFT without Nav. Had the TSB applied a couple weeks ago as mine was an early build. Yesterday I had a lot going on and hit the vice recognition button several times in succession - that confused it quite a bit.

Couldn't shut audio down or change station or input mode but maual volume control in dash still worked. Audio stayed on for 10/15 mins after I got home with key out & door opened. After that it shut down & has been operating normally since.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Taking a snapshot or video of the problem is a good idea, which I didn't think of. I will do that the next issue I run into. Eventually I'll report back on what happens when I talk to the dealer about the issues. Or, I suppose it might never crash and again and work perfectly forever!

Blizzard, what you said makes sense, but what I'm really curious about is: did all the diligence to send problem reports to the dealer make a difference? Have you gotten specific issues resolved? Or do you just get the next general update with a vague promise that it may work better?

I've actually been avoiding talking to the dealer a bit since I bought my Ti at a dealer 40 miles away and want to service it at one 400 feet away from home. The sales guy at the local dealer sent me a sob story email about how I didn't buy from him (they had nothing in stock and none coming in when I asked) after I followed up saying I had already purchased. I'll get over it eventually...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Taking a snapshot or video of the problem is a good idea, which I didn't think of. I will do that the next issue I run into. Eventually I'll report back on what happens when I talk to the dealer about the issues. Or, I suppose it might never crash and again and work perfectly forever!

Blizzard, what you said makes sense, but what I'm really curious about is: did all the diligence to send problem reports to the dealer make a difference? Have you gotten specific issues resolved? Or do you just get the next general update with a vague promise that it may work better?

I've actually been avoiding talking to the dealer a bit since I bought my Ti at a dealer 40 miles away and want to service it at one 400 feet away from home. The sales guy at the local dealer sent me a sob story email about how I didn't buy from him (they had nothing in stock and none coming in when I asked) after I followed up saying I had already purchased. I'll get over it eventually...
The reason that i document all problems, MFT meltdowns/freezes etc. is that a close friend of mine is a lawyer and advised me to be very detailed about all the times I have had to bring my car in. I am doing this because Ford has known about all the problems with MFT systems going back to September of 2010...and yet they still went ahead and put it in the new 2012 Focus and are still featuring it front and centre in their t.v. commercials, print advertising, radio spots etc. The problems still remain, I personally feel the Gen 2 2.11 update did nothing and my dealer is waiting for some direction from Ford tech support as they were going to replace some modules for MFT and the gps module but when they went to order the parts they were advised, by Ford that replacing said modules would "NOT remedy the problems." i have not ruled out taking my complaints to an elevated level, including a buy back from Ford as I am now into my fourth month of ownership and the car has been riddled with MFT gremlins since day one and my patience is at an end.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I just had another one of those MFT gremlins pop up today and it was again a little different from the previous ones. This time my phone was disconnecting and reconnecting and finally not connecting anymore. Then the volume just got stuck in the minimum position. I would then have to use the manual knob to bring the volume up but as soon as I let go of the knob the volume would go all the way down. I was in a hurry to go to work so I just drove without the radio on. As I was driving, I would test the manual volume out occasionally and it finally would stick at the set volume but the steering wheel control was still stuck at minimum (weird). After getting to work and leaving the car turned off for about 30 minutes I went back out to see if it fixed itself and no joy, it was still porked. I then had to resort to pulling the #67 fuse to get her going again.

The thought crossed my mind that maybe when I started the car with my remote start it tried to do some sort of automatic update or something. I hope it doesn't do anything like that but if it did and I got in and started driving before it had a chance to finish, that would explain why everything was hosed up. It's just a thought, I'm really getting some pretty random stuff happening now. I hate random because it's next to impossible to duplicate.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yeah, have to agree with you completely_focused, random is the worst because there is no logical way to try and track it back to something. I did have one incident myself when the steering wheel volume controls were completely locked (but the manual knob worked fine and held where I left it for volume). I was also locked on Sirius and unable to change it for the entire ride to work. Parked the car when I got there. Got out of work and went to get in it that evening and upon startup, everything was fine. No fuse pull, no master reset, no anything, it was just fine again. I hate inconsistency. My only semi-consistent gremlin is the radomization of the screen I'm on upon startup. It switches itself now and then.

One thing I'm experimenting with right now, and I just started trying this yesterday so I by no means have any conclusions to the effectiveness of it yet, is to set music to either Sirius or AM/FM before I shut down. I leave my iPod connected full-time and it usually playing when I shut down. In one of the rare instances I was actually listening to Sirius on purpose, I shut down and noticed on subsequent startup that things seemed to load up faster (Nav, phone, etc.). Again, completely speculative and non-scientific at this point but I am going to be going back and forth over the next week or so and see if there is anything there.

·
Registered
395 Posts
All I have to say is everyone experiencing these issues should post their videos on youtube. The general public has a right to know.

Like some of you said, if Ford isn't resolving your issue and continually keep advertising their product like nothing is wrong... You just have to do the opposite.

For myself I will be taking my car into the dealership again this Monday, so that they can hopefully finally bring everything back to spec. That is more time and gas wasted that comes out of my pocket.

Also keeping documentation of all the problems is always a great idea. This whole fiasco is just a class action waiting to happen. The more proof you have the better off you are in the end. If anything else it is proof when you take it in to service and they can't deny and say nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
291 Posts
And make sure if you buy a car that says EXPORT ONLY in big letters on the window sticker, you ask the military sales dealer what it means BEFORE you actually accept the car.....you might find out your car was ordered for Switzerland where not all functions of MFT are available.

·
Registered
395 Posts
And make sure if you buy a car that says EXPORT ONLY in big letters on the window sticker, you ask the military sales dealer what it means BEFORE you actually accept the car.....you might find out your car was ordered for Switzerland where not all functions of MFT are available.
OK FF4 you are just an idiot troll.
I do appreciate you making crap up though, you are the prime example of helpfulness to the online community.

You obviously don't understand anything and can't take being wrong. Enough said.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi all,

there are a lot of things you can do yourself before taking the car into the dealer. For example, if you had a recurring streaming issue, you can make sure the phone has the latest OS, you can power down and reboot the phone, you can remove the phone battery if you can, you can un-pair the phone and re-pair the phone, you can reverse-pair the phone, you can do the master reset or the fuse pull. Most of this is described in the troubleshooting section of Syncmyride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts