Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to do a new exhaust on my car but I am not able to drop the coin on a nice set up like the MF one that I like the sound of.

I was talking to my friend that works at a shop and he said he would be willing bend up a new exhaust for me but I want to know what "muffler" I that I need to keep for it to preform right and not hurt the MPG or Power.

I know I can lose the 2nd Cat due to me being in Michigan, but with the two mufflers on the car I wanted to know if the one before the rear "axle" was needed or is the one after it that needed to say to keep the right back pressure.

Also, I thought I read that going with 2 1/4" is the best size tubing for the 2.0l, is this correct?

Thanks for the Dumb Newbe Questions.

New question posted on pg 3, post number 30.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Rear "muffler" is actually the resonator. This has very little resistance. So the actual muffler is the one that keeps back pressure.

2 1/4" is perfect for the 2.0L as you said.

The second cat being removed will make little difference except for sound.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Most after market exhuasts are 2.5" but unless you plan to go with serious performance mods, 2.25" will be plenty.

One muffler should be plenty in the setup as far as sound and performance. The second cat (if you have one even) isnt needed, you'd still pass emissions with out it...not that you need to worry about it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks allot guys. That is what I was thinking I could do to make this set up work for me.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Well what'd you go w/?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Free is always awesome. I cna Sang them cheap seeing as I work at one of the local O'Rielly stores.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would go with the cherry bomb, I had one on my 2.0 for a long time and I loved the way it sounded, I don't remember the part number but it was the only one they made at the time with a 2.5 inch inlet and outlet and it was was about 29" long and a 3" body I believe. I'd have to dig it out of the scrap pile to double check. I plan on buying another one soon to replace the one that broke off after 8 years haha. The only downside of such a large glass pack is that the only place it really fits is directly after the flex pipe snugged up in the tunnel.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Which is a 3" inlet and outlet? The one you have? I know the one I was running was 2.5" inlets and outlet and was about 29" long and a 3.5" body, the cherry bomb part number is 87516 for the one I was using, they do make others with a 2.25" inlet and outlet, 87505, 87510, and 87515 all have 2.25" inlet and outlet the only difference is the length

·
Registered
519 Posts
Oh, then your getting a 4" body, that will be snug up in the tunnel. Also your going to want to add an exhaust hangar right after the glasspack, almost where the rear seats would be. Just from experience the length and weight of the glass pack is too much for the stock hangars alone, the back of the glass pack will want to bow the exhaust piping and eventually it will break close to where you weld the back half of the exhaust to the glass pack. I had to reweld mine 3 or 4 times before it finally snapped completely. I plan on replacing it soon and adding a hangar and adding flanges so it can be easily removed from the car, upside from it breaking off is you get to run open headers for a while haha. Brain shaking loud

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Oh, then your getting a 4" body, that will be snug up in the tunnel. Also your going to want to add an exhaust hangar right after the glasspack, almost where the rear seats would be. Just from experience the length and weight of the glass pack is too much for the stock hangars alone, the back of the glass pack will want to bow the exhaust piping and eventually it will break close to where you weld the back half of the exhaust to the glass pack. I had to reweld mine 3 or 4 times before it finally snapped completely. I plan on replacing it soon and adding a hangar and adding flanges so it can be easily removed from the car, upside from it breaking off is you get to run open headers for a while haha. Brain shaking loud
Haha I've wanted to unbolt the exhaust at the end of the flex and ride around my road just to dick with my neighbors

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info guys

1 - 20 of 40 Posts