Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive recently saved up enough money to get an exhaust put on my 09 SES Sedan. Eariler tonight i took it to a local exhaust shop and had a chat with one of the mechanics and we talked about all the options and finally settled on leaving the cat and the resinator on and cutting off the rest and putting on 2.5 inch pipe and a magnaflow stright threw muffler and a nice 3 inch double wall stainless steel tip

Any comments/opinions would be appreciated and considered

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
This would do almost nothing for performance. The best exhaust you can get is one that eliminates the second cat and bolts right up to the exhaust manifold flange. You will get great performance and sound outta that.

He probably won't do the exhaust cause it might be illegal for him to mess with catylitic converters.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We talked about taking the second Cat aka resinator... off and he said he would do it as long we didnt do anything with the main cat. He explained to me that the resinator is just basically a glasspack with alot less packing inside so its only purpose is to tone the car down alittle bit it.. its basically a stright threw design so it doesnt do to much as limiting performance

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Which is true. This is also why eliminating just that wouldn't do much anyway. The real gain is getting rid of that secondary cat. How much is he quoting you for this exhaust?

·
Registered
63 Posts
i would recomend cleaning out your main cat....and eliminating the second one..cuz like jetrinka said you will get nothing out of doing that

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
run a pipe from the flexpipe to a borla muffler to a tip

will sound amazing

done

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hes quoting me at about 200 but that was with leaving the secondary cat on but with that coming off its only like another foot or two of pipe so maybe 225

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Well if he has no problem taking the cat off then do it. You won't be sorry. It will sound great, be a good performance mod, will look better, and its only 25 bucks more. Get a borla or magnaflow muffler. Both sound awesome. I am partial to magnaflow.. lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha well thanks for the info i will most centainly get rid of the secondary cat then and yes i was going to go with a magnaflow because my budget is pretty limited and i cant afford a borla muffler

Ok so just to be clean take the secondary cat off and run new 2.5 inch pipe all the way back to a magnaflow muffler and the out to the tip

Am i missing anything else???

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Nope that is the jist of it. He will have to weld a flange onto the frontpipe to connect it to the exhaust manifold flange but that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alrighty then all i have to do is go down and make the appointment

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
MAKE SURE he welds a flange on, my muffler shop cut the end of my flex off and welded it all on there, made it an absolute bitch to work on, and i will need to do lots of custom work to get an aftermarket flex now...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts