Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would just replacing the stock muffler rather than using a cat-back give identical or similar results? On a 2014 hatch, thanks guys.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It will give sound results, But ZERO performance gain. I went from a Muffler delete, to a full Cat-Back. And the sound was similar, but performance was night and day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sound is a plus but I'm looking for performance. Thanks pvtbclark that's all I wanted to know. Do you have a kit our custom made exhaust?

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
I would recommend the FSWERKS exhausts. You can find them used for under $300 shipped. 2.5' piping gives you the performance gains you want and the sound is second to none[headbang].
*They offer both a race and a stealth system. I have the race installed on my sedan and love the sound though many like the stealth system and say the race is too loud. Just depends what you're looking for.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sound is a plus but I'm looking for performance. Thanks pvtbclark that's all I wanted to know. Do you have a kit our custom made exhaust?
I have the J2 Cat-back kit, from ebay. 379 shipped. full bolt on exhaust, did it by myself with floor ramps. definitely adds power and sound is pure bliss. Best thing i've ever done. Look around for different brands like FsWerks or something to your liking. I was gonna go with the Race exhaust but it was sold out and i got the J2 in 4 days.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Check utube for some before and after dyno runs with exhausts..
So matter, some do not.
Some cars gain HP, others do not.

The Borla cat-back adds ony one hp to the ST.
But it sure makes a lot more noise.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Check utube for some before and after dyno runs with exhausts..
So matter, some do not.
Some cars gain HP, others do not.

The Borla cat-back adds ony one hp to the ST.
But it sure makes a lot more noise.
More noise or just a different tone? That's unlike Borla to put out a product for more noise.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
More noise or just a different tone? That's unlike Borla to put out a product for more noise.
Well the utube vid I watched had the Borla install, then another part the dyno test on a ST.
In the car, on the road the Borla drone could be heard louder than the sweet piped in intake on boost. If that blatt of the exhaust compared to the intake sound is not noise, I don''t know what would be?
Who would want that?

·
Registered
580 Posts
try to find dyno charts of before/after the cat-back installs. true some systems only gain a small amount overall, but look at the curve and see where the additional power is available, e.g. it might only gain 1hp over peak but there might be a considerable difference in the typical driving range.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
try to find dyno charts of before/after the cat-back installs. true some systems only gain a small amount overall, but look at the curve and see where the additional power is available, e.g. it might only gain 1hp over peak but there might be a considerable difference in the typical driving range.
The whole curve ranged from a slight loss, to no improvement to at most one hp up.
It was disappointing.. Or, on the other hand, it shows that the stock Focus ST pipes do a good job.

·
Registered
580 Posts
ah that's disappointing then. or as you said, Ford did their homework. i guess the kits for the non-ST focus have more gains over the (very mild) stock exhaust

1 - 11 of 11 Posts