Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning the mods to me 2014 SE hatch after the recall and warranty work on the rear shock is complete.

So far planned. K&N intake & Toms Tune. From perusing the threads these two look pretty mandatory.

Cat back exhaust, either the Borla or Magnaflow. The Borla is a 2.25" diameter, the Magnaflow 2.5". Is there any advantage to the bigger pipe? Power? Noise?

Is there any advantage to replacing the headers. The only one that looks to have an integrated catalytic converter is made by Magnaflow

It doesn't look so terrible different from the stock header and is a little pricey. Many options for non-catalytic headers, but is the noise going to be a problem? (I don't want the car to be too loud) and what are the legal ramifications of eliminating the catalytic converter? fine? jail? I live in Florida BTW.

I do plan on implementing all mods at the same time. One of the benefits of being old, but not so old that I want my car to go a little faster.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think the only 2.5 inch exhaust for our cars is the FSWerks. I have the Stealth on my sedan, and I love the sound of it. I wouldn't waste money on the Magnaflow header. It is mostly a stock replacement. Hopefully a header will come out with a high flow cat. A catless header with cat back exhaust will sound raspy and loud. You could always add in an extra resonator. I'm in the same boat as you. I have emissions checks every two years, so I don't have a header yet. With that being said the car is way more responsive with intake, cat-back, and tune.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i'd say go with the 2.5 inch. the 2.25 most likely wont give you a very noticeable power increase over stock. Fswerks is great. i have the stealth exhaust. The magnaflow header is just a factory replacement. There are no catted headers as of right now. I definitely think the header was a worth while mod in terms of the power gain but it is a lot louder than stock.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Planning the mods to me 2014 SE hatch after the recall and warranty work on the rear shock is complete.

So far planned. K&N intake & Toms Tune. From perusing the threads these two look pretty mandatory.

Cat back exhaust, either the Borla or Magnaflow. The Borla is a 2.25" diameter, the Magnaflow 2.5". Is there any advantage to the bigger pipe? Power? Noise?

Is there any advantage to replacing the headers. The only one that looks to have an integrated catalytic converter is made by Magnaflow

It doesn't look so terrible different from the stock header and is a little pricey. Many options for non-catalytic headers, but is the noise going to be a problem? (I don't want the car to be too loud) and what are the legal ramifications of eliminating the catalytic converter? fine? jail? I live in Florida BTW.

I do plan on implementing all mods at the same time. One of the benefits of being old, but not so old that I want my car to go a little faster.

Florida has had no emissions checks since the 80s, so technically it is illegal by federal law. But, Florida really does nothing to enforce it. So, unless you get in some shit for illegal street racing or the like, it's pretty unlikely that you will get in trouble for it. That being said there are the uncommon reports of an officer ticketing people for no muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Florida has had no emissions checks since the 80s, so technically it is illegal by federal law. But, Florida really does nothing to enforce it. So, unless you get in some shit for illegal street racing or the like, it's pretty unlikely that you will get in trouble for it. That being said there are the uncommon reports of an officer ticketing people for no muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
All depends on the cop, on my other car I've blasted through an intersection trying to beat a red light, needless to say I didn't make it... going over 90mph... Cop pulled me over, walked around my car, I had no front license plate, a tank of 'nitrous' in the back seat (was actually just C02 for a ricer purge show), straight pipe exhaust, and he told me I went through a red light too fast for him to catch what speed I was going. But gave me a thumbs up on my car and just gave me a ticket for going through a red light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts