Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading some posts on exhaust, and seem to see that quite a few posters are getting custom exhaust, and downing others for getting pre-made exhaust systems.

Fact is there is not going to be much of a gain in HP either way, custom, or pre-made.
Custom can be cheaper, but most likely made of aluminized pipe. If you go custom SS pipe, the price will jump considerably, and not to mention that not many shops do SS work, except weld in SS mufflers.

Personally, I know we can only bolt on about 10-15 HP max on a Focus, excluding a SC or turbo. So I know I am not a corvette killer...lol.

Personally, I like the SS systems because they look nicer, resist rust, and get rid of that ugly muffler hanging below the rear bumper. Now as for a SS pre bent system, I would choos that over a custom, HP will be no different, but you will get a more duralble and nicer looking system, with some very nice welds. Robots weld nicer then men. I only knew one welder that did SS work, but he was a turbo builder, and ex military welder. but thats my experience.

Remember you get what you pay for, aluminum is cheaper than SS. A focus is cheaper than a corvette.

So a poll what really is important in a exhaust seeing that at most you will get a 6 HP boost from either system custom or prefabbed.

1) looks
2) durability
3) sound

What do you think? Just want to see what other think about upgradint exhaust?

Remember the focus is a budget car, with many mods available, and good gas mileage. It all comes down to personal taste. And I would venture to say, that if we were millionaires, we would not be here, we would be on a corvette, mustang, beamer, or some other forum.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
meh i dont care much about looks, no one crawls under my car to look at my exhaust, all you can see is my tip. and my custom 100 dollar exhaust pipes, although not mandrel bent, are stainless steel, just without the chrome mirror finish

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$100 SS CUSTOM EXHAUST. Thast a great deal. Why so cheap? Most SS mufflers I have seen will cost you about $40 , and maybe at a good Deal $50 for the piping. Average $50 plus an hour labor. Who did your work, I would like to get me one done. I only was able to find one guy here in SA, and he closed his business like a couple years ago.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
it was just some family owned muffler shop in town, they charge like maybe 50 dollars for each section of pipe( so 50 from cat-muffler, 50 from muffler to tip) i do plan on buying the trubendz tubing kit because its mandrel bent but i cant afford the ss so i'm just getting the plain aluminized one

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
i have a MBRP but i will be replacing it with a custom set up because one i can build it to how i want it and not to many car shows judge on the underbody of your car plus its always dirty down there so who cars if its SS and if u dont want it to rust have the pipe painted first my friend did it to his 04 gt just sprayed everything so its all black still cost less the 200.00 for everything custom built and sprayed

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Intake, exhaust and headers will net you more than 10-15 whp, what do you consider boltons? Just an Intake and exhaust?

·
Registered
930 Posts
intake and exhaust alone netted me right at 16whp...and now I have header and a tune. You can really squeeze power out of the duratecs.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
go Dura power.....intake, exhaust, tune and its night and day from stock.

kinda gives us that hope that we can be fast one day.....but alas......just a dream.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also unsure which way to go with exhaust

quite a few posters are getting custom exhaust
As I am currently studying exhaust choices for my 06 ST I am very pleased to see this post (thank you eddie). At the moment I am pretty lost and hope to gain some real insight.

Those willing please offer suggestions on what I might do for an exhaust upgrade please offer opinion. If the recommendation is "custom" then please offer some criteria for the selection of a shop.

For me the key objective is increased hp.

Thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There was a review (over on FJ, I think) that tested a variety of aftermarket exhausts. I think the best whp numbers were achieved by the Focus Sport system and that was 6whp.

The Marcy CAI will get you around 10whp, Draxxas header (note the absence of an "s") is about 10whp, a larger throttle body is 3 or 4whp, a tune about 5whp. Stage 1 type cams are around 10whp.

Now, lemme see, that's around 30whp without considering cams, which I don't consider a "bolt on". With streetable cams we are up to 40whp. So your 15 horse bolt on number is a might conservative, to say the least. Also, these parts working in conjunction with each other produce more gains than each of them would as a stand alone modification.

Additionaly, a tune will make your car faster (more so if you have an auto tranny) than the raw horsepower ratings suggest.

Keep in mind, too, that the supercharger from Toyota for my Scion Tc only nets 40 BRAKE hp over the stock 160bhp rating of the engine. So, simple free breathing mods on the Dura will get you higher relative gains (considering the stock bhp ratings of the Dura engine to start with) than the sc gives the Scion engine.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The throttlebody is marginal on gains. Oscar Jackson (Jackson Racing...) did dyno tests and said that the actual power gains were marginal, maybe 1-2hp, within the margin of error of a dynojet.

If you build a custom exhaust, get at least 2.5in while you are at it, and use mandrel bends. Stock engine you won't gain much, but when you open it up the rest of the way (header, cams, turbo, etc) you won't want smaller diameter pipe, and you won't want compressed bends stifling the exhaust flow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts