Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to cut a long story short, i removed my mid box on the exhaust and replaced with a straight through pipe, which at low revs sounds great,a nice deep tone. but at high revs it is very raspy and tinny, which is not so good. what would happen if i put a smaller than stock mid box in?[?|]

·
Registered
783 Posts
u should have removed the one in the back (resonator... aka lunch box) and left the muffler in place. that will give a plesent exhaust tone throughout the rpm range

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i already have a sports rear box in place, giving a deeper tone and thought removing the middle one would amplify the noise which it does just not in a good way at high revs.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
why not just get a focussport non stealth system. or borla, ect....
the flexback for a 2.0 zetec should work on your 1.6. and it'd sound much better than a homebrewed setup. (that said some homebrews sound really good.)

·
Registered
783 Posts
its from the flex pipe to the tip rather than from the cat.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
it ia raspy because the smaller engine size put a resonator there instead

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
you know, I was just thinking this...... the kit I got was called a cat back system, yet it was really flex back.....lol. and yeah, the middle muffler is really the muffler, the lunchbox is just a resonator...

·
Registered
963 Posts
if you buy a flex back system make sure you get the resonated midpipe. I didnt and it sounds pretty ricey at high revs too. But F it I like it loud so ppl hear me coming. Check trubendz website. they pretty cheap too. I got the magnaflow. I'd recomend it to anyone

·
Registered
783 Posts
the whole flex back/cat back think for the focus comes with the release of the duratec engine. Since it has 2 cats a flex back eliminates the second ;and with the cat back exhaust the stock tubing is cut about 3 inches behind the second cat,and the new primary tube slips over the stock.

technically the exhaust for a zetec is both a cat back and a flexback since its only cat is before the flex.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
if you buy a flex back system make sure you get the resonated midpipe. I didnt and it sounds pretty ricey at high revs too. But F it I like it loud so ppl hear me coming. Check trubendz website. they pretty cheap too. I got the magnaflow. I'd recomend it to anyone
I got uh......the whole magnaflow system from www.magnaflowplanet.com.... really great system and no fitment issues! [:D]

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
i'm going wit hthe focus soprt stealth. so i can ru na header and not piss people off. (i live near old people,lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts