Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a nice looking exhaust tip I would like to put on my car...guy at auto parts store says to weld it on, not just screw it on which makes sense...question is, this tip is chrome plated...Should I go for stainless steel or all chrome if it's going to be welded on...will the chrome plated last awhile....forget about a complete exhaust...my budget says that's not gonna happen...

·
Registered
678 Posts
well.. I think you should just save.. just get a universal muffler then get it installed with full piping under the car.. I did that and it costed about $175 total.. it sounds good, alot better than all the civics around here.. just save.. Im 16 and my budget is pretty damn limited too and I did it..

·
Registered
580 Posts
just screw it on...

i saw these tips, i'm probably going to pick one up for both mine & my wife's focus'.

i say just screw it on, it's like $7-8 at pep boys.

getting a new exhaust for $175 is great, but if you don't care, you're just tired of seeing a rusty steel pipe sticking out the back of your car, then $8 works.

now, to answer your question - the chrome plated one will probably weld better than the stainless one. the chrome one is just steel with chrome plating -- when you tack weld it on, it will burn off the thin chrome covering and weld steel to steel.

i think it's more difficult to get a weld to stick from stainless to regular steel (something about the substrate you use has to be for either one, not both)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
euro said:
Stainless, and stay clear of the fartcans[hatchet]
what in the world is a fartcan....is that just the sound....I thought a new exhaust would be like $500 or something...I really don't want to change the sound, just the look
[driving]

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bought a 3 dollar chrome tip for my focus before I had the money for the new exhaust and I just screwed it on, worked fine. Had it on for maybe a year, and looked good still.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, going today to put the tip on...want to weld it on rather than screw it on...knowing my luck, if I screw it on, it will come off and damage the underside of the car...still leaning towards the chrome but haven't decided completely...chrome and stainless---what's the difference besides one is shiny and one is not....don't want to change the sound so that's why I'm going with the tip

·
Registered
456 Posts
lol.... get an extra 2 hp from it!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oracleguy said:
lol.... get an extra 2 hp from it!
now, now..I wasn't going for hp or noise just looks..may sound screwy [8] to u guys, but I've read it a thousand times in here "if it's what u like"

·
Registered
456 Posts
YELLOW BIRD said:
now, now..I wasn't going for hp or noise just looks..may sound screwy [8] to u guys, but I've read it a thousand times in here "if it's what u like"
I was just joking about the LED exhaust tip. Nothing wrong with having a chome tip or similar on the stock exhaust, looks better than that ugly pipe.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know u was just joking......I was just being a mom...ooooops....been with the kids all day and I can't seem to get out of that mode.....[ohcrap]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Everyone:

I'm a newbie here and so is my Focus. I just bought on Ebay Motors a very lightly used '03 SVT w/the European Package (in the Screamin' Yella yet!), and my wife and I love the car. But we're disappointed that the darn thing didn't come equipped with the chrome (or stainless or whatever) exhaust tip like advertised for the '02 and '04 models. Can I get one from the "aftermarket" dept. at one of my local Ford dealers as HotRodWagon claims?

Thanks,
BumbleBee

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lil, no pics yet. Been really busy, so haven't had the opportunity yet to even detail the bugger <g>. Plus getting it down from Michigan was not without incident.

It came down on an auto transport, and the driver when coming East across Alligator Alley in South Florida had a another truck a little to the ahead of him and in the next lane to his right. Our driver told us that it appeared that the truck next to him blew his engine and all kinds of nasty stuff (oil and some clear, slcik viscose type material) got over a large portion of our car on the passanger side. So...the first three days were spent trying to get that yukky stuff off the car and removing all traces of it. The car is fine now.

As soon as I wash it and detail it in and out, I'll beam some pics up.

BTW, it appears that the chrome or stainless tip is on the vehicle, after all. I discovered that under the black exhaust gunk, there really is shiny metal under there. [:)] I'm tryng to remove it by applying Easy Off Oven Cleaner on the tip and letting it stand for a while (which is what it's doing right now as I type this). Then I'll rinse it off and see what happens. Meanwhile does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning the tip, which appears to be welded on the tailpipe. (Is that how they attach it?) At any rate, I'll get back later to let you know how it turned out.

BumbleBee

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
YELLOW BIRD said:
knowing my luck, if I screw it on, it will come off and damage the underside of the car
if it came off while you were driving, wouldnt it just fall off the back of the car? the only way it would damage the underside of your car if it fell off is if you were driving at high speeds in reverse.

welding is more secure, but is it worth the trouble for a cheap exhast tip?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
crazy_urn said:
if it came off while you were driving, wouldnt it just fall off the back of the car? the only way it would damage the underside of your car if it fell off is if you were driving at high speeds in reverse.

welding is more secure, but is it worth the trouble for a cheap exhast tip?
just what I thought, but the guy at the auto parts store says he has heard of it coming off and damaging cars...now, if he was just handing me a line, I don't know, but...I felt like, better safe than sorry...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts