Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im considering removing one of my exhaust resonators. i realise i will actually gain some power if i get a proper cat-back but im not too worried about the extra 6hp or so (and i cant stump up $300 atm). i just want a little bit of noise to make my car a bit more fun.

it seems everyone is removing the resonator at the very end but has anyone taken out the long fat one near the back of the exhaust? how does it sound with that taken out? i dont want to remove both because i dont want to get arrested for noise pollution. i'd like a nice deep tone that can only be heard when im really hammering it. any advice on which one to remove will be much appreciated. sound clips would be great also!

thx everyone!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I took out the lunchbox and replaced with straight pipe. Before I did that I replaced the middle one with a sonic turbo mufffler I got on ebay for 20bucks. For a total of 60$ sound stock at idle and screams at wot!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
it will be louder, but it will be raspier, not deeper, if you want deeper, you have to get wider piping like 2.5 or 3 Inch

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx boys. i think i might take out the back one for now. if i dont like the sound i can always clamp it back on and try my luck taking the middle one out.

also any chance of a sound clip talltim?

thx again!

·
Registered
783 Posts
ok the thing at the back is the resonator (aka lunchbox). you can hack that off and have a 2" diameter S-pipe welded in by a local shop for about $40. I had this done to my 01 and it sounded good. Not raspy or ricey by any means IMO. ill see if i can find you a video of one when i get home. (no speakers on the university computers)

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
I don't know.....but the middle one is actually the muffler, the rear box is the resonator.... my muffler had a nice little hole in it..... so I'm wondering, does everyone else's muffler have a little hole on the bottom of it? I mean that by if anyone's noticed when they've changed their exhaust

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
that hole is for water drain i think i have it but i checked for exhaust coming out and there was none i think it just the casing. btw i think the part nearest the flex is a 9 in resonator but correct me if i am wrong mine has a broken wall so i am taking it off and replacing with pipe as well as removing my lunchbox

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
that hole is for water drain i think i have it but i checked for exhaust coming out and there was none i think it just the casing. btw i think the part nearest the flex is a 9 in resonator but correct me if i am wrong mine has a broken wall so i am taking it off and replacing with pipe as well as removing my lunchbox
yeah i figured that's what it was for.... but it was all rusty still, despite being stainless.... my new muffler has no hole though.

·
Cursed
1,677 Posts
nice. mine sounds about like that with just a CAI and the full stock exhaust.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
that sold me i am removing the lunchbox and mite get slowly build a costom with 2.5 in piping but that will be down the road

·
Cursed
1,677 Posts
i'm actually gonna be putting a 18" glasspack on mine. i've heard them on 4 bangers before and they sound good.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm i was thinking about this whole resonator removal deal and it seems its actually a very pretentious thing to do, serving no purpose but to make a right royal din. so by doing it, i would become a textbook example of a "ricer", on par with those who put 4ft spoilers and nos stickers on an otherwise stock hyundai exel. thus i considered saving up for a real-deal catback and did a bit of research. over on focaljet, they did an exhaust shootout with a range of results. small, unheard of brands gained only 1-2hp with one actually losing power. but the big shock was the heavyweights (borla, focussport etc..). the best performing exhausts gained only about 4hp. and so it got me thinking again... $300 for 4hp and nice soundtrack or $30 for just some noise. i've made my decision and i guess im just another rice boy then.

thanks for all the input everyone!

·
Registered
783 Posts
definately not rice... rice is a fart can, removing a resonator is removing a resonator... nothing more, nothing less

edit.... and it sounds better than a ricer with thier fart can

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
well anything sounds better than a ricer lol..... but I have to admit, I love the tone my catback puts out..... it's nice and low, and fades away to almost stock if I'm not on the gas [thumb]

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just 1 last question then this thread can be put to rest. would using wider piping to replace the resonator change the sound at all? i.e. rather than using stock diameter pipe, im thinking of getting some 2.5 inch pipe bent up and using a suitable clamp to join it to the stock 2 inch exhaust. if i do this i will cut as far up as possible to maximise the length of the new wide pipe. my guess is the sound will be either no different to using 2 inch pipe or maybe slightly deeper and/or louder. if anyone knows for sure or has 1st hand experience please speak up!

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
i dnt think it will make a diffference i am going to remove the first resonater since it has a broken wall that rattles, and then i will go from there maybe removing the lunchbox,but mine is blck and looks aftermarket anyway with a nice modest tip welded on the end

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
o0o0oh make sure you post a sound clip after you take out the resonator. u mean the one in the middle right? never heard what that souds like before because most ppl take out the lunchbox.

and yes i would love to have a hi flow cat with 2.5 inch pipe to the back but hi flow cats are bloody expensive and i cant justify the cost of a catback for a 4hp gain.(yes i am a tightass / poor uni student)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts