Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group,
I took our Focus to my exhaust guy yesterday to have some trickery worked on the old boy. 75k miles, and it was time for an improvement. For a little background, shortly after we bought our Focus back in 06, I had the lunchbox removed, and a Flowmaster Stainless Steel tip put on the car. Looked good, sounded good, etc. Several months ago, I was loading groceries into the car, my leg hit the Flowmaster tip, and it fell off. It was rotted extremely bad. We drove it as is for a while, no biggie.

This weekend, my wife went out of town, and I decided to get the exhaust system taken care of. I bought a Thrush Glasspack, and a Pilot Stainless Steel tip for the Focus, and drove up to Indianapolis for surgery. I bought a 2" inlet/outlet, 25" long Thrush Glasspack for ~ $20 and the exhaust tip was ~ $15. We got the car on the lift, and got our action plan together.

We cut off the muffler by the rear wheel on the driver's side, and we cut a length of pipe out directly behind the second catalytic converter. We welded the Glasspack just aft of the converter, took the pipe that was cut out of there, and recycled it to use where the muffler went. We bent it to the right shape, and it looks like it was always there. Reusing the stainless steel pipe was a great idea by my exhaust guy (Murphy). We then bent up a new piece of pipe to take the place of the pipe that the old tip was welded to.

Took around an hour for the fabrication, and cost $100. The car sounds great. The Glasspack gives it a deeper, more throaty tone, while allowing a bit more flow. No drone inside the car, and while it is a tad louder inside the car in general, the sound outside is simply awesome. Can't be more pleased with the results. While the car was in the air, I added some freon to the A/C to improve the cooling of the passenger compartment.

All in all, a great day of modding the Focus....don't get to do that too often.
Now to clean the car....ugh (my wife is messy!!)

Oh, and a reminder of the work is now on the rear window...

I don't know why more people don't look to a good glasspack when wanting to do exhaust work. They provide good tone, not too expensive, and can fit just about anything.

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
video? (in motion outside of car would be nice, not just revs)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
The only thing about glass packs is over time they blow out all the glass and slowly get louder and louder.

You should make a video or a sound clip, or even download an app on your phone that has a db meter. Record the sound of it now, then at say 100k miles do it again and see how much louder it is.

I agree though they are cheap so i guess it wouldnt be all that much to just put in a new one every so many miles.

How long was your glass pack?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing about glass packs is over time they blow out all the glass and slowly get louder and louder.

You should make a video or a sound clip, or even download an app on your phone that has a db meter. Record the sound of it now, then at say 100k miles do it again and see how much louder it is.

I agree though they are cheap so i guess it wouldnt be all that much to just put in a new one every so many miles.

How long was your glass pack?
Overall length is 25".
Sound is awesome...wife loves it!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
for my exhaust i just took my muffler and res off and brought it out the side of the car (driver side) so its straight pipe now. im thinkin about later on putting a glass pack on though iv heard really good things about them

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I guess you guy's are doing all this for the noise facture,huh! It's sure not for performance.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I guess you guy's are doing all this for the noise facture,huh! It's sure not for performance.
Why do you say that?

I want to add the header for a couple of things. mainly so i can hook up my wideband so it can be better tuned since i spent $420. on that SCT thing.

I would think removing the manicat and adding a header would give some gain. I would think just removing the cat. would gain something.

I just dont want it to sound like an import. I know thats a stretch because i dont think there is any way for a 4 cylinder not to sound like an import. I figured going with the glasspack which most dont ever use i hope to get a different sound then normal.

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
For an exhaust that works for you and your wife for just under $150, WIN!!! But like Bower stated, the glass packs will deteriorate over time, however, most glass packs are found on V-8s so you may actually be good with an I-4. Post a sound clip of both inside and outside of the car.

@ Felix: I'm pretty sure that a glass pack would flow a bit better that a stock Focus exhaust. Never compared them, though. [dunno]

@ Bower: Definitely get the tune after the header. I gained almost 25whp with CAI/Header/2.5in Exhaust after I tuned it.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
For an exhaust that works for you and your wife for just under $150, WIN!!! But like Bower stated, the glass packs will deteriorate over time, however, most glass packs are found on V-8s so you may actually be good with an I-4. Post a sound clip of both inside and outside of the car.

@ Felix: I'm pretty sure that a glass pack would flow a bit better that a stock Focus exhaust. Never compared them, though. [dunno]

@ Bower: Definitely get the tune after the header. I gained almost 25whp with CAI/Header/2.5in Exhaust after I tuned it.
But like shadowvox said the glasspacks are so cheap it wouldnt be a big deal to have it replaced every so many thousand miles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW, I ran Cherry Bomb's on my Chrysler for almost 2 solid years with no deterioration at all. I have true dual exhaust on the car, and I had one on each side (only flowing 3 cylinders) I have a feeling this Thrush Glass Pack will last at least as long as that, if not loinger.

Also, we have noticed a slight increase in fuel mileage with this setup. Will know after we fill up the car tomorrow, and calculate the mileage.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
What is the purpose of taking the muffler off? Noise + performance -

for my exhaust i just took my muffler and res off and brought it out the side of the car (driver side) so its straight pipe now. im thinkin about later on putting a glass pack on though iv heard really good things about them
You should of left it w/ a muffler or replaced it w/ your glass pack.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, did some mileage calculations last night...picked up half a mile per gallon.
Car is running great, just flipped over 75k this weekend....
All is good!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts