Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, whats up...im new to the forums but i just got my ZX3 and i've been searching around for some performance tips, mods, and some friendly knowledge. i don't know where to start, my car is completely stock. I want some nice exhaust first. I've been reading the forums and i setup an order on Focus Central that consists of a FC Shorty Header, FC High-Flow Cat Pipe, and a MagnaFlow Cat back. I want a nice deep tone thats just a low rumble until you open it up. I can't go with the race header because of emissions and i don't want to fumble with installing the stock manifold and cat to pass them, thats why i chose the shorty and high flow cat. Any suggestions on what i should do? or better ways to go about doing my exhaust? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Sounds like you already have a great plan going there. If you can pick up the FC flexpipe also and your exhaust will be complete.

You will see a very nice difference in your cars performance once all of those parts are installed.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do i need the flex pipe to get from the cat pipe to the catback?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Btw did you already order those parts or are you considering them. I am just asking b/c depending on your budget there are a few better choices out there.

For example, the random technology high flow cat is a bit better for performance than the FC part. Also there are some better shorty headers than the FC piece. Like JBA and Focussport and there is a new MAC shorty also.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i haven't ordered yet, im just shopping around trying to figure out what to do. If i could get some great quality parts for good prices that would be the way i want to go, im on a limited budget, so lower prices is definately a plus to me

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Well you could use the stock flexpipe but you may as well get an aftermarket one, they are only about $ 100.00

How much do you have to work with?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, as of right now im sitting on 300 and saving...

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
sitting on 300? hmm most people start with an intake. ours is pretty restrictive and dependant on just a snorkel for air. full ehxaust will be nice though. just curious... why all focus central parts?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Euro, i was just looking around there and put all their parts together to see the price. I was thinking about intake, but i thought about getting exhaust out of the way then doing intake after that. Thanks focal, ill look around at them. Are those the parts you would use do achieve what im wanting??

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Me personally I would buy more expensive parts but not everyone can do that.

If you save a bit more I would go for

Ford racing shorty header, comes with all gaskets and misc parts etc. $ 335.00

Random technology high flow cat $ 299.00

These parts are better than the others I mentioned, but they are fine. I just suggested them because they are the best for a more budgeted person.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Btw those prices are from mcnews automotive.

As far as a flexpipe goes the Bosal and FS are probably the best. Me, I would go with the 2.5" flexpipe from trubendz.

Cat backs are all good, no real quality issues there. Though you may wat to get a 2.5" cat back instead of a 2.25" catback, cuz you never know what future plans may occur.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do they offer higher performance? like the FR header over the MAC header is it a big performance notice?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Nope not really. Its just me, if I put something on my car I would choose the FR over the MAC. Its more of a complete kit, thats why I like it.

Though the Random tech does have a sizable perf. advantage over the FC cat.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok. Yea the Random tech looks like it would be a much better catpipe compared to the FC i could probably afford it if i went with the MAC header instead of the FR one..

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Sounds good, I had the RT cat and JBA header on my car before going to a race header and loved them, I am sure you will be happy also.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for your help man, now i just gotta save up some mola.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
where did you get that price on the magnoflow catback? 289.95?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts