Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the best catback solution for Zetec2.0 for relatively quiet operation. Is loudness always proportional to performance? Or are there exhausts out there that are known for good performance and low noise. Thanks.

Also, does an air intake affect the sound of the car? Sorry if its a stupid question.

Tryin to soup up the girlfried's car a bit but stay fairly stock looking/sounding. It's gonna need a new exhaust soon anyway

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
NO, loudness is not always a sign of performance. I have heard a lot about Magnaflow and it is a performer and not too loud. A good, but expensive, system is the Focus Sport Stealth Cat-Back. It is pretty expensive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Air intake will change the sound of the car, but it also depends on which type you get. Short ram intakes like the MAC, Ractive and AEM will give a louder sound than the "cool air intakes" like the Volant. Iceman seems to have a reputation for making the least noise and if you opt for the black color it almost looks stock.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Magnaflow really isn't that loud unless you step on it. I'm sure the others are the same way. I have a AEM short ram plus full exhaust and mine's pretty loud.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
quiet=bosal w/ silencer, not much for a loss in power. for quiet intake...the quietest is ice-man without a doubt...with those two combined the car will still be pretty quiet except without a sleak look from the back...

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
My magnaflow isn't too loud, it is, like Ashley said, if you mash the gas pedal. If anything I think it may have made my intake louder, I dunno, maybe it is just me.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
focuzzz said:
sorry to jack the thread but i had a quick question... how loud is the borla exhaust without the silencer? does the silencer make it completly lose all its sound?

i was thinking of getting a borla here
http://www.trubendz.com/home.asp?producttype=exhaust&productfor=focus_standard&pagetype=productIndex
but they all seems to be the same but have different prices but seems to be the same, can anybody explain the difference?
borla doesn't have a silencer as it has a rolled tip, that is not a real borla system...just a borla muffler...and each muffler has its better points...thats the reason for the price...only system out thats actually produced by name brand is bosal, and you still have sound...just well...not as much, but still sounds good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have a shorty header, with a magnaflow...it sounds pretty good...low rumble at low rpms...nice pitch at higher rpms...i like it....althoguh i wish i knew wat the borla sounded like...borla makes great stuff

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help. I am liking the sound of the magnaflow. Made in the USA right?

One more Q. I live in the pacificNWET. Is water going to be a problem with the intake, or are there intakes that are a little more "waterproof" than the others? I am trying to make sure I only have to do this once ;-)

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
depends on which intake you choose...won't have any problems with the ice-man or volant

·
Registered
456 Posts
wgb said:
One more Q. I live in the pacificNWET. Is water going to be a problem with the intake, or are there intakes that are a little more "waterproof" than the others? I am trying to make sure I only have to do this once ;-)
Haven't had any problem with my volant and all the rain. I'm still careful going through big puddle so it doesn't splash hard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My combo of the Trubendz w/ Flowmaster and Ractive intake is moderately loud. It seems like most of it comes from the intake though. Gotta get rid of the damn Ractive though. It heats up like crazy and after a little while of driving you can feel the power loss. Just waiting on the cash to swap it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a magnaflow cat back, then I added a volant intake. If definately made the exhaust a little louder, sound better I think. Never any problems with water

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the cervinis mach V hood which is practically a ram air and i took the old filter box out and slapped a K&N cone on the end and man i could feel and hear the dif. For the rain i've fabricated a steel sheild that i place in front during rain and washing and behind during good driving conditions(to catch as much air as poss). I also have a magnaflow exhaust system, Its going on tomorrow!

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have the borla cat back which i like...i wish it was a little louder....its pretty quiet which suprises many ppl....my k&n filter changed the sound a little...i hope my race header deapens the sound...

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
I have the same set up as ZX3_Chick........FR header, RT cat, Bosal flex and Magnaflo cat-back, sounds great to me not too loud but you know it's there especially when you punch it. Saving my pennies to replace my K&N with a Volant.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts