Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, from what I have read the D20 doesn't have a whole lot to gain from a full exhaust swap...at least while running a mostly stock NA motor that is.

And considering there are virtually no options for systems for 2006 ZX3, I was considering JUST replacing the MUFFLER itself, and then adding a tip. I am looking for a sound similar to the SVT stock system...kind of "pro tuner" style, NOT ricey or loud at all. Just something with a little bit of growl to it.

Now, how big is the stock tubing...2 inches? I know I have read about the debate between switching to 2.25 or 2.5... so I figured if I stayed at 2.0 with a new muffler gains wouldn't be noticably different from a full system at 2.25.

am I totally wrong in my thinking? I don't plan on anything aside from the Stealth CAI I just added Saturday...so I have no need to push massive amounts of air.

And while on the topic, any suggestions on either where I can find an SVT muffler used for cheap (If it would fit my zx3), or have brands that you would suggest to give a similar sound? I figure Borla would be close to what I want..but they are typically pricey and do not have a specific muffler for my application so I would be using a universal type muffler.

THANKS! [:D]

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You can buy pretty cheap full exhaust systems on ebay. 150 bucks or so. Have you tried visiting focussport.com? They should have exhaust for the newer focus. I know the 2.3 L and the 2.0 L Duratec(PZEVS) use the same exhaust systems. The exhausts on the SVT and newer ZX3 Duratec Foci are different due to the location of the gas tank. If you are getting the muffler installed by a mechanic, it will prolly cost a bit, they gotta cut off old muffler and mount new one on either with clamps or weld it on. Cuz when i took off my exhaust it was all one piece. My new one was 3 pieces and very easy to install with torque bolts. If it were me I would just go out and buy a full 2.5 inch exhaust, less of a hassle.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've just had MBRP flex back put on and I noticed a nice littlew boost in power.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
BOOSTA said:
If it were me I would just go out and buy a full 2.5 inch exhaust, less of a hassle.
Me personally would go with a 2.25" exhaust. A 2.5" would be borderline too big for a 2.0l with just a stealth CAI.

·
Registered
272 Posts
MBRP. $239 and you can DIY for what it would cost you to have a muffler shop fab up a muffler and tip combo. It's 2 1/4" and should be more than adaquate for what you're looking at doing. http://www.mbrp.com/main.php?focus

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
LUMADAR, what other upgrades are you going to run?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blkZX32005 said:
LUMADAR, what other upgrades are you going to run?
I don't plan on anything else...I did the Stealth CAI, and that's it.

This car isn't my main ride...it's kind of a commuter car for me, I just want it to be decent sounding and looking lol.

Given the insanely small gains from even a FULL exhaust system I think I might just switch the muffler and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
By full do you mean flexback or header+flexback? I have driven a 2.0 Dura with Draxas Headers and a custom flexback and that defintley had some gains, compared to mine which was stock back then. If you want to just cop out on it buy a fart can from Autozone and call it a day.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
p0sitivevibez said:
By full do you mean flexback or header+flexback? I have driven a 2.0 Dura with Draxas Headers and a custom flexback and that defintley had some gains, compared to mine which was stock back then. If you want to just cop out on it buy a fart can from Autozone and call it a day.
Maybe you should re-read what I wrote.
"I am looking for a sound similar to the SVT stock system...kind of "pro tuner" style, NOT ricey or loud at all. Just something with a little bit of growl to it."

-Lumadar

Like I said, I am not looking for a fart can...I want something a little more aggressive than stock, but not ricey.

what i mean by a" full exhaust" is the typical exhaust system, ie the MBRP, Focussport, etc, ...flexback, catback, whatever. From what I have read they are typically a flex-back system..and the brands with the sounds closest to what I feel I want don't even offer a system for my model/year, and the previous model years were $380+.

The way I see it, for a gain of 4 TOTAL HP, and 3 TORQUE, several hundred dollars seems WAY WAY too steep for me.

I guarantee just swapping out a less restrictive muffler will get me close to, if not half the gains from a full system that costs hundreds more.

Again, I'm not looking to mod the car like crazy, this is my "beater" lol

·
Registered
444 Posts
IM problubly going to get flamed but this is what i did. I took out the stock muffler and put a strait pipe in its place then i put a 26 inch pipe diamter glass pack 4 inches after the first cat. Then i took out the second cat and put in a bent peice and eliminated the last cat. To tell you the truth the car isnt very loud. At Idle its no louder than stock, but at WOT it has a deep throaty sound. It doesnt growl like a V motor but it doesnt sound ricy. Before any one points out that it illegal to eliminate your cat look at most aftermarket exhausts eliminate the last cat. total it cost me $60 total said in done.

·
Registered
444 Posts
PS by the way i noticed more top end after words. on take off it was the same but once i got up around 4000rpm the motor winds faster than before. if you havnt done it yet i would recomend an intake if you could afford it....it will give it a little more aggresive sound and should really compliment the exhaust in both power and in sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts