Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 zx3 and I am lookin into doing full exhaust.

Right now I have the borla exhaust. What headers are there out there and will I have to replace my flex pipe? I live in VA and for emissions they just hook up to the cars computer and as long as you dont trip any codes your fine.

Any help would be great cause I am lost.

Eric

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
for what you are running go with the draxas. the cosworth primaries are too large for your minimal modifictaions

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should also say this when I do get headers I will also be getting the cosworth intake manifold and having the car tuned by a shop on a dyno.

Thanks for the info wickedgreyzx3

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
no you wont.
The intake manifold does not work with a 2.0. It fits. and it will also kill your power.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wickedgreyzx3 said:
no you wont.
The intake manifold does not work with a 2.0. It fits. and it will also kill your power.
I knew that it would fit but it would not produce the same amount of power. I didnt know that it would take away power from what I had, and for some reason I thought that I would be able to take care of that by getting it tuned right... its late and I have been reading post forever. Thanks for the info and advice, I am going to look into the header you suggested.

With that header I will be able to pass emissions still?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i tried to get my car tuned on the dyno at aplace called speedtek and they said there is no way to tune the focus...

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
I am going with the Cossie header, and you should also as long as you are going to get a tune then you will notice a good 10-15 whp gain.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
umm yes there is away to tune... it's called an sct xcal2 you get it from www.focussport.com

please don't buy the cossie header. you are going to loose power becuase the primarys are to large, even with a tune.

and even with tunning the intake manifold is still not going to net anypower and the shorter runners are going to cost you gobs of torque on a 2.0....

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
OMG... sorry I was talking about the 2.3... but if you had a 2.3 the cossie header would be the way to go.

·
Registered
450 Posts
so the headers on the 2.0 dont yeld any gains? [:(]

·
Registered
450 Posts
but not the cossworth header? If not them which ones will be the best?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The draxas header is more than adiqute for under 200hp applications...

Even on a lightly modified 2.3 the cosworth is going to kill power.

You need cam's to have a reason to run the cossie header.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wickedgreyzx3 said:

Did not know all that, thank you much. Hopefully be ordering it in a few weeks![:D]

·
Registered
450 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:

hmm thats good to know, because I actually plan on running cams in the future. But i will probably go in steps, so in the mean time a draxas header would be an optimum choice for running CAI, Tune/flasher, and a full exhaust? Then once im ready for the cams it would be better to switch to the Cosworth? Sounds like my new plan for the foci!!

OH, with the cams do i need to run higher pressure fuel injectors, or will the stock ones work but with a special tune?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You can't go and just drop new injectors in and expect them to work, the car would have to be tuned for it.

Header choice is mroe dependant un what your ultimate goal is with the car. So many people fail to look at the big picture and truly understand how different parts will interact with each and what will complement what. ie, people running a 2.25" exhaust on a Cosworth header; I'm sorry but it's idiotic. The Cosworth header has 1 and 7/8ths primaries(the 4 parts that leave the cylinder head), thats freakin huge, and you're going to choke it down to a 2.25 exhaust? A=Pi*r^2, 11.04 for r=1 and 7/8, for r=2.25 A=15.90, so you're going from roughly 11.04*4=44.16 in^2 to 15.9in^2. That's roughly onethird the area. If that doesn't kill flow i don't know what will. On the other hand a 3in exhaust will net 2827 in^2, a much more appropriate selection provided you have supporting mods..

The most important question is what is your ultimate goal for the car.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well my ultimate goal for my car will eventualy be turbo.. but that most likley wont come within this year.

My plan is to really open the engine up N/A... header, cams, tune, ignition and fuel going in that direction. I really dont have the money for a turbo and for the driving I have to do I am not sure if a turbo is what I need.

Could I get the cosworth Level 2 with the headers, cams, tune, and TB? The TB is just 2mm larger then the one I have now so I could sell it or swap it with what I have now. Would doing that direction with the cams, header, and there tune make it so I didnt lose any power but gained it?

aero_student: If that was the set up I was to go with would I want to or should I then go ahead and go with a 3" exhaust?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If you plan on purchasing a turbo DON"T MOD THE CAR, almost any mod you do will be a waste of time and money.

Just wait and save.

When it comes time for the turbo do the whole setup in one go.

·
Registered
450 Posts
my setup goal is to have a reliable daily driver with better than stock hp/tq.. however that may come. Like I said I dont have that much cash to do it all at once so i'd like to add what I can and compliment it with later (more expensive mods). So tell me if there is any flaws in my thinking...

Start off with a CAI, then add an exhaust of some sort (focussport probably), then following those mods get a tuner to squeeze what I can out of those mods. Then be happy with it for awhile (aka save up for more mods). After that probably add a set of cams, and a header. I've heard with cams one would need to boost the injectors some how, maybe a tuner would aid in that so i wouldnt need to get bigger injectors (yes??). After the cams add a cossie race header, and then re-do the exhaust due to what you said about restriction of the 2.5" exhaust.

Does this sound like a decent plan? Im not looking for any kind of forced induction, or nitrous, I would just like to have a fairly quick n/a car that would be a reliable daily driver.

btw, thank you for all the knowledge you're sharing. Im familar with engines in general but totally new to the dynamics of 4-cylinder engines.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You have to tune if you are going to use bigger injectors, I'm at the limit of stock injectors on my setup right now and my setup is pretty far from stock.

FocusSport is a great company but I would reccomend you not get their exhaust as it is only 2.25; that size is a restiction if you do anything more than a intake and a tune. Go straight to a 2.5" exhaust.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts